1920's Willard Lathe

It looks like an older model Lodge & Shipley, possibly a 14" size. Very good chance its from the 1920's. It appears to be in very good condition for its age. A very good friend of mine who hangs out on another forum knows a quite a bit about the older L & S lathes. With a S/N, he can date it to the year it was born.

But the tailstock kinda looks a Monarch. If it is, could be a model A Monarch lathe.

I will try to get the S/N. Do you think there is parts for something this old? It has been in the guys basement since 1950's I can almost get it for free just because I will have to disassemble to get it out. Really not sure about this one. I think from talking to the guy that owns it now it was new in the 50's but not sure.

I'm willing to bet you will find nothing wrong with the lathe . The lodge and Shipley is built like a tank almost indestructible . It will be going strong long after we are gone, if you take your time and lighten up the lathe as much as possible it should come up from the basement easily. If you need build a a frame above the celler opening and rent a coma long or buy one to lift it to where you can get a trailer or what your going to transport it with. Just take your time and don't get under it when lifting out of basement. strap it down good , ratchet straps old real well and they're cheap.

I did some searching and looking at an actual Willard lathe, I believe that one to be a Willard, they share the same smooth curved compound top, the one you pictured tho I believe to be much later than the 20s, as the posts I read stated that they had cone models in that era, flat belt on the headstock spindle "cones" to change speeds, here is a link to practical machinist topic covering it, it had some more links I didn't follow up on
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...tory/willard-machine-tool-information-221691/

it also shares the same knob on the cabinet door

read another post on a bigger version of this lathe, could actually be from the 20s, probably has babbit spindle bearings....

Last edited:
I have a come-along, a chain fall, an engine hoist, some long heavy chain, and misc junk, along with a lot of wood working tools than can be used to construct ramps and braces for hauling with out damage to the owners house.
If you decide to go for, PM me and I will come lend a hand. I have a bad back, so I can't do any really heavy lifting, but I can certainly move stuff around and operate equipment. I also have a factory tow package on my Jeep if you need that too.

Coming up out of the basement is much easier than going down. You are in more control when lifting against gravity than when you are trying to lower in a controlled fashion. I bet if we put it on a sled, it would come right up with a come-along. Trying to work around the carriage with the legs off would be a real pain.

I have a come-along, a chain fall, an engine hoist, some long heavy chain, and misc junk, along with a lot of wood working tools than can be used to construct ramps and braces for hauling with out damage to the owners house.
If you decide to go for, PM me and I will come lend a hand. I have a bad back, so I can't do any really heavy lifting, but I can certainly move stuff around and operate equipment. I also have a factory tow package on my Jeep if you need that too.

Coming up out of the basement is much easier than going down. You are in more control when lifting against gravity than when you are trying to lower in a controlled fashion. I bet if we put it on a sled, it would come right up with a come-along. Trying to work around the carriage with the legs off would be a real pain.
Thanks
I will get ahold of you after I survey everything. I also have lots of winching equipment. I'm going to need to look at this before I attempt anything on moving it. It maybe not worth moving.

Bill

I did some searching and looking at an actual Willard lathe, I believe that one to be a Willard, they share the same smooth curved compound top, the one you pictured tho I believe to be much later than the 20s, as the posts I read stated that they had cone models in that era, flat belt on the headstock spindle "cones" to change speeds, here is a link to practical machinist topic covering it, it had some more links I didn't follow up on
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...tory/willard-machine-tool-information-221691/

it also shares the same knob on the cabinet door

read another post on a bigger version of this lathe, could actually be from the 20s, probably has babbit spindle bearings....
Thanks I read the posts not much info and it probably is a Willard but if this is the case I dont think it would be worth the effort to pull it out of the basement other than to just have it. Parts are pretty much nonexistent and I would have to build everything, which is not all bad. I'm going to have to really look at it. I'm think this next weekend going down and looking at the machine and surveying how to remove it.

If it went in,it will come,scratch ones head and survey the lay out. Unless the building was built around it.

Levers and pulleys and ramps.

I wouldn't worry to much about having to make parts for it, my atlas had a broken traverse gear case, you don't wanna replace it with an oem part, so I drew one up and hit the go button, one of the first parts to come off the mill after converting to cnc, it was a multi setup part

Back