1945 9A score

derf

Registered
Registered
I snagged this little crud ball yesterday for a song.
DSC02504.JPG
The lathe itself is filthy cruddy, but it does have a very nice heavy stand. Everything seems to be there, with no missing parts, but I didn't get any other goodies with it.
DSC02505.JPG
DSC02507.JPG
This machine was made in 1945 for war production according to the tag.
DSC02509.JPG
The motor is not original, but it's a weird version like I've never seen. I looks to be a special purpose motor for harsh environment, because it is sealed and has a built in on/off switch for remote operation. There are only 2 wires that come out of the motor, and it does not reverse.
DSC02511.JPG
It runs well, but I'm gonna change it out to a 1/2 hp that's reversible.
For some reason these derelict machines seem to follow me home lately.....

Congrats! You'll have fun cleaning it up
Mark
ps interesting motor too

That explains a lot! It seems to be an explosion proof motor, with no vents or open connections. That could also explain the built in switch that is activated by linkage.

I found a suitable motor in my stash, but I have a slight problem. The connector box on the motor is right in the way for the drive belt.
DSC02512.JPG
Looks like I need to do some custom re-locating. Most of all the other motors I looked at seem to have the same configuration. Just when I thought I had it figured out.....

Exactly what I was thinking. I remember the old Wayne suction gas dispensers had very similar motors. And yea...Explosion proof too. Nothing wrong with that motor. I haven't had much need to reverse a lathe with a screw on chuck. I know many do it.... But I'm not there yet.

These sealed motors also keep chips and swarf out of the windings. Invaluable for lathe service.

You must have one heck of a singing voice. Congrats!

That's very cool, I don't need it but if I came across something like that I would have to buy it! Very restoration worthy. Does the motor that came with it work?

They look beautiful when fully restored - like a work of art. Without a doubt the best tool in my shop. Congrats!

Rick

Back