1945 9A score

The motor works fine... it just doesn't reverse. There are only 2 sealed wires coming out of the case.

By the way Derf. I vaguely remember.... once again.... VAGUELY remember , but I seem to recall that at one point one of my gasoline dispensers at my gas station had a pump inop. Finally realized the motor was spinning backwards. I want to say I actually just reversed the wires. If not that, I know it wasn’t a complicated fix. Not like I had to remove it from dispenser nor disassemble the motor. I don’t even think I removed the rear bearing housing. It was a simple wiring issue. But.... like I say.... I remember having the motor spinning backwards but this was 25 years ago and I forget the exact fix. BUT I KNOW IT WAS EASY EASY EASY FIX TO REVERSE DIRECTION OF THE MOTOR.
in fact, kind of remember it happened more than once. These were identical looking motors like yours with the 120/240 v selector switch.

Well, I tried reversing the wires.....still goes the same direction.

The wires in the motor need to be reversed . The power cord wires only provide juice to run not change direction. The field wires have to be switched . Some motors aren't reverse able .

I would go so far as saying MOST 120 volt motors are not reversible. Now I’ve seen on here where people really tear into one and do some things I would consider inadvisable at best, and get a motor to reverse. But, not that you asked, my suggestion would be to keep looking for an ac motor that says “reversible” right on the data plate.

His motor is a switchable 120/230 volt motor.

His motor is a switchable 120/230 volt motor.

Welcome to the South Bend Club. The 9" models sure did sell. It seems there are 10 9's for 1 of any of the other sizes.
I had an old Rockwell table saw (should have kept it!) I had the motor wired for 110. When I put a 2x4 on the table the only way it would not stop the motor is if I fed it very very slowly. I assume the torque loss is consistent with all the multi volt motor options?
Congrats.

“His motor is a switchable 120/230 volt motor.”

I’ve read over this thread a few times now, and I can’t seem to find where he says that. Can you point it out for me? Thanks!

If you look closely at the picture of the end of the motor in post #1, you can see a selector switch at the top of the motor housing that
is marked 115/ 230. I believe you remove a screw and flip the switch lever then put the screw back in.
The motor is probably reversible but may require opening it up and fiddling with wires a bit.
Mark

Yea, sorry about that...It's in the picture. I was talking about the last picture of the original post where the front of the motor has a 120/230v switch. I normally would try to be more specific in my comments, but I was commenting using my phone in my last post. When using the phone...I tend to be quick and to the point.

Back