1956 Studebaker sedan

Here we are back again. Got the rad etc. installed and had it running for a couple of hours. Had an oil leak at the rear of the pan so had to pull it back out. The cork gasket at the rear over the rear main had shrunk in length and allowed oil to pass out through the corner by the block. New side gaskets were required as they tore when I pulled the pan off but left the original cork over the main bearing cap which had been glued to the pan. I smeared some of that high temp silicon on the gasket and put a generous squirt in the corners. Now she is bone dry.
Then we dropped the body back down onto the chassis and got her all shimmed and bolted down. the last couple of days we ran the new wiring harness through the fire wall, the old one had been totally destroyed by fire, and sorted all the wires and tagged them for final installation when assembly and painting is completed. It is so much easier sorting them all out when you can see and reach both sides of the firewall at the same time.
Then we installed some of the accessories like wiper motor, defroster heater valve etc.. all easier to do with no dash etc, in the way.
Today we reassembled the steering box and installed it so we can steer it easier for moving. The jacket and shifter are not installed yet as the jacket, shifter hub and lever as well as the turn signal housing all need to be painted along with the upper half of the dash as well as the windshield inside moldings.
So here we are one step further.
Nick

body-on2.jpg

wire.JPG The burned harness

body-on2.jpg wire.JPG

excellent documentation of your project. nice job too. your very thorough. im currently working on a 46 hudson com. 4 door sedan. . we did not take it off the frame but tok the body down to bare metal and ripped the wiring and interior out. its been a long haul. its very hard to keep focused when you can;t see the light at the end of the tunnel. . .

Looks nice, Nick.
Very inspirational work. I've got '53 and '54 pillar coupe. The 54 I'd like to restore and the 53 I'd like to upgrade the original stude 6 to something in the 250 Hp range. One of the guys in our local chapter has a 259 he'd like to sell. That would be a good option too. Maybe put in a TKO 5 speed and one of my clients gave me an mopar 8 3/4" diff housing. All of this awaits the finishing of my shop. Sigh.... Enjoy your Stude.
Al

excellent documentation of your project. nice job too. your very thorough. im currently working on a 46 hudson com. 4 door sedan. . we did not take it off the frame but tok the body down to bare metal and ripped the wiring and interior out. its been a long haul. its very hard to keep focused when you can;t see the light at the end of the tunnel. . .

DavidH:

Had to reply on your Hudson project, I one had a 1947 Commodor "8" I was restoring in 1970. Even in those years it was difficult to find parts. In my case the 8 cylinder engine had been replaced with a 1956 Twin H six. Nice body lines, terrible wiring, and an interior that was almost impossible to find original fabric to upholster. Love to see some pictures of the project as it brings back a lot of memories. Good luck with such a difficult project.

Nick,glad to see the progress you have made on this Stude. Not many folks would do this type of restoration on a 4dr sedan! But they deserve to be saved just as much as the C&K models or Avantis !

Well guys we have made some more headway in the last little while. Got the fenders fixed up and painted and today my buddy came over and helped me install them. What a difference that makes in the appearance. It sure makes a fellow feel good to see the progress. Here are a few pictures of our latest progress.
Next in line the front end tin, then the hoods and finally the doors. All need some tender loving care. My goal to drive it on my birthday, May 24.
Nick
fndr.rpar.JPG fndr.rpair3.JPG

fndr.fin.2.JPG fend.on.JPG

fend.on.JPG fndr.fin.2.JPG fndr.rpair3.JPG fndr.rpar.JPG

Last edited:
Looking good, Nicky! Heck, looking great! Wish I had the funds and space to do something like this.

Chuck

Spent the last couple of days sandblasting the small sheet metal pars around the front end and painted them yesterday. Today I got the front end all assembled. The grill is NOS. The upper and lower moldings probably are too but have a bit of shelf wear on them but generally in pretty good shape. They will do nicely for a car I intend to drive, not a trailer queen or concourse restoration, just a fun car to take to cruise-ins etc. Starting to look more like a car all the time.Nick

frnt.view.JPG cornr.JPG P1040208.JPG

frnt.view.JPG cornr.JPG P1040208.JPG

Last edited:
Nicky,

i went to the University of Alabama in June of 1961. By December I had the car of my dreams, 1955 sedan. Only mine was solid blue. Drove it for 3 yrs, my next car was a 1956 Hawk, Studebaker pink. Repainted it metallic blue. Cost $450. Repaint $125. Painter complained because of wax.

Many other stories.

thank you for sharing

Mike
Cullman, al

We have a little more done over the last few weeks. Here are a couple more photos.
Nick
trnklid.JPGhd4.2.jpg

trnklid.JPG hd4.2.jpg

Back