1969 Bronco Hot Rod Project

Just for fun

Tim Young
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Long story short, I'm building my version of a Hot Rod. There is no plan to go rock crawling although It should do a good job of it. The project has been on the back burner for a couple years. I'm finely getting back to it. First thing on the list is getting the engine to fit, I'll get to that in a minute. Here are a couple of photos of it. How it looked when it was all together and what it looks like today.

20161027_161810.jpg

20210601_190229.jpg

And now I have a question.

Does anyone know how to remove hot dipped galvanized?

Here's the deal, the engine is a custom build 427 stroker using a Dart block on a 351W format. The Moroso oil pan that came on the engine I bought won't work with the Bronco (As Is). The front drain plug is too close the front cross member and then when I compress the suspension the front differential hits the rear sump. I bought a Ford racing oil pan for the it last year sometime. Went to put it on yesterday and found out it won't work with the Dart block it hits the rear main cap. So, after some searching on line I found out that there are two companies that make pans that will work on the Dart block. I'm thinking I will just cut this one apart and do some custom fabricating to make it work. The problem it is it is hot galvanized.

20220604_162043.jpg

Actually, the web site says that the finish on the oil pan is Clear Zinc.

This one is a bit newer than yours , but the girl below me on the mountain has this one . Great shape . My neighbor at home also has one which is why I took these pics . I have my 93 2 door Blazer to get to one day . Yours will look great and get down the road I'm sure . Keep us posted . :encourage:

Attachments

• IMG_8586.JPG
    IMG_8586.JPG
    487.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_8590.JPG
    IMG_8590.JPG
    727.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_8591.JPG
    IMG_8591.JPG
    662.1 KB · Views: 14
Small grinder should clear away the zinc. Flap wheel should work as well.. If the other pan only hits in one spot...why not modify that one?

Small grinder should clear away the zinc. Flap wheel should work as well.. If the other pan only hits in one spot...why not modify that one?

I'll get a photo of it later but it hits right at the rear main cap just to the outside of where the pan seal on the cap and its made out of light stamped steel.

I just think I will have better luck modifying the heaver steel Moroso pan.

This one is a bit newer than yours , but the girl below me on the mountain has this one . Great shape . My neighbor at home also has one which is why I took these pics . I have my 93 2 door Blazer to get to one day . Yours will look great and get down the road I'm sure . Keep us posted . :encourage:
Your neighbor had a good looking Bronco!

I'm thinking a little sand blasting and a flap disc for the outside and I'm going to try cleaning vinegar on the inside.

I'll see how well the flap disc works first. I may even try some sand blasting on the inside.

Stay tuned for all the joy!

Back