1969 Bronco Hot Rod Project

If you freeze your vinegar first and pour off the unfrozen part (concentrated acetic acid), maybe it'll be a rag job, but in my experience it's easy to remove zinc with HCl-chromic, chromic-phosphoric, or straight phosphoric acids. That translates into concrete and metal etch, osph-rust, and naval jelly/CLR on the store shelves.

I'm honestly wondering, did you happen to get struck down by lightning when you cut out the fenders on that classic? Sure does look good, but you'll be doing hail marys for life if you confessed that to a priest.

VERY COOL!

That 427 has the potential to make a ton of power, I’m curious about the heads?

The 408 I dropped in my 65 is by the far the best of the many engines I tried. I used an original 72 block. Lots of torque, nice idle and does not mind reving, and has never given the slightest issue even after a lot of thrashing.

I went with a solid roller, are you going solid roller?

Last edited:
super cool project, looking forward to the next update!

VERY COOL!

That 427 has the potential to make a ton of power, I’m curious about the heads?

The 408 I dropped in my 65 is by the far the best of the many engines I tried. I used an original 72 block. Lots of torque, nice idle and does not mind reving, and has never given the slightest issue even after a lot of thrashing.

I went with a solid roller, are you going solid roller?

No, I went with hydraulic and able to run regular pump gas. I think it should still have enough grunt to do the job.

Decided to get the bump stops temporarily mounted to where I think they should be before I work on the oil pan.

20220608_193701.jpg

Making a little progress on the oil pan project. In the photos the suspension is about 1/2" to 3/4" from full compression. Unless I'm in an accident I don't plan on ever getting to full compression, but better safe than sorry.

I used a paint stripper disc to remove the zinc and it worked well, I still have the inside of the pan to get cleaned up.

20220609_162255.jpg

20220609_163820.jpg

20220609_163919.jpg

20220609_164013.jpg20220611_180743.jpg

20220611_192111.jpg

In the very first picture, is that port touching the crossmember?

It is, I'm going to try and cut it out of there without damaging it and move it to the bottom of the pan.
Great minds think alike! LOL.. that is what I wanted to suggest. :cool:

Back