1974 (GM) HQ Holden Belmont V8

Dave,
Once again you have excelled! That is a fantastic project brought to completion.
Can you post up or explain your polishing steps.
I use a sisal wheel, and a rag wheel with compounds for polishing bronze castings.
Do you use something to slow down oxidation?

Cheers Phil

Thanks guy's

@Phil I don't really have a fancy polishing technique. In this case I used a flapper wheel on my die grinder to clean up all the machining marks and round off the sharp edges. I then hand sanded it with some dry 240 grit paper followed by wet sanding with 800 and then 1200. I've got a small mop on an arbor for my die grinder with some brown compound and then I hand polished it with a Autosol before finally finishing it off with some Mothers Aluminum Polish.

One of these days I'll get some mops for my bench grinder and a selection of compounds.

Here's a small job I finished today, distributor hold down clamp.
DSC_05711024x685.jpg

Tested fitted on my spare block.
DSC_05731024x685.jpg

DSC_05711024x685.jpg

DSC_05731024x685.jpg

Hello,
Please forgive me, I know what I'm about to say is blasphemy, but, it's just a shame that dizzy clamp is going on a Holden, If it was on a Ford it'd be up front where it could be seen:biggrin::biggrin: On a Holden it's stuck right out of sight at the back.

Very nice work

Best Regards
Rick:biggrin:

That's OK Rick I'm not a show off so I don't need all my work to be seen.:biggrin::biggrin:

I know what you mean though, it's hidden away on the Holden, that's why I had to take photos off it on my spare block.

P.S. You're forgiven.:lmao:

I recently bought a new aftermarket fuel pump and needed a way to mount it so I milled up an aluminium bracket to mount it.
DSC_00061024x685_zpsd8f2479d.jpg

Attached to the fuel pump
DSC_0005685x1024_zps1e8c05a6.jpg

and mounted under the car near the fuel tank.
DSC_00091024x685_zpsbf604fc3.jpg

Didn't bother polishing it as it's under the car where you can't see it.

DSC_00061024x685_zpsd8f2479d.jpg

DSC_0005685x1024_zps1e8c05a6.jpg

DSC_00091024x685_zpsbf604fc3.jpg

Good to see you still got time to work on the HQ

Cheers Phil

G'day David, I see that your still working on the HQ and still doing good work, Got much more to finish it? Out of curiosity, do you know what happened to Ozf. No word to it's members, just disappeared! pity but that's life I guess. So what's next for the HQ, you must be getting quite proficient at milling by now.

Cheers

Ed.

Thanks guy's, yep still working on the HQ, it's been on the road now for over 2 years but I still like to fix and modify bits and pieces on it. I don't think it will ever be finished :thinking:

I've no idea what happened to OzFab, I'm guessing with the move to the US it just wasn't important to Steelart. It's disappointing, it was a great forum and there were some good guys there. I keep checking to see if it comes back up but I've all but given up on it coming back.:angry:

What's next for the HQ? I'm currently machining up a new bellcrank to replace the bigger one on the firewall, while the first one turned out quite good I've never been 100% happy with it because I know I can do better. There's a lot more milling in the new one but I think it will look even better and should be a bit lighter.
Here's a sneak peak.
DSC_01181024x685.jpg

How's the boat going? It's coming up to summer, I hope you're ready to give it a work out.:))

DSC_01181024x685.jpg

How's the boat going? It's coming up to summer, I hope you're ready to give it a work out

Is that for Ed or me, Dave?
Cos my boats been running all winter. summer is the quiet time here for me.

Cheers Phil

Sorry Phil that's for Ed, he's been rebuilding a Scarab?

Back