1982 Lada Niva

Well my luck stroke again, i visited both inspection station and the police station on friday and the little niva is still in government's name. So i be going monday morning in the capital city to get it straightened, what a fiasco ( murphy's law).

Well it's official the Little Niva is registered and road legal for the road. Today i finally got the little niva transferred to my name, it was a bit funny, nobody know what to do because it was still in the federation yugoslavia / macedonia name and the workers there have never seen or transferred a title like that, so finally they called the boss who transferred it.

Beside being probably the busiest couple of weeks in my life a friend who lives in the Us come home to visit, and he also owns a Niva and as any Niva it needs some work before we can drive them together, so i brought it in the big garage and over couple of hours we welded in the new seats. His niva is a much newer model 2006 model and it shows, is made from much thinner steel but on the other hand is much quicker it has 3,9 diffs and 5 speed gearbox and 1,7 fuel injected engine rated at 80 hp because the welding took so long it was dark when we went off roading, we drove couple of trails close by and surprising my Little Niva has better ride and the tight tricky parts drives them better i don't need to ride the clutch it just hoops around but in black top he is gone, i do need to do something about more power and better throttle response. I did not take picture from the trails, because it was dark and i had my hands full without any power steering.
IMG_20191112_211645.jpg

I thought you were gonna tell us that you enjoyed the rebuild on your Niva that you couldn't stop yourself from offering to swap him rides while you rebuild his for him! :mechanic:

Yeah, NO i do love cars but not that much, i have better projects to spend my time then an 06 Niva.

I spent some time in the USSR when the Niva was new. I showed this thread to a Russian friend who had to maintain Ladas. He said, "This man who did this is crazy in the most admirable kind of way! As for me, I would hit with brick anyone who tried to give me Lada."

jack vines

Well if your only vehicle is a lada then you'll hate them, they constantly need repairs they are incredibly noisy not great on fuel economy not that good looking. Only real advantage they have is their toughness, and small size and weight, ask him are they durable.

Understand, I'm an old car guy who works on stuff which makes no rational sense; it's just interesting and fun, so I'm not trashing your Lada. That you wanted one is reason enough.

Well if your only vehicle is a lada then you'll hate them, they constantly need repairs they are incredibly noisy not great on fuel economy not that good looking. Only real advantage they have is their toughness, and small size and weight, ask him are they durable.
You sort of answered your own question; a durable vehicle doesn't constantly need repairs.

However, when I asked my Russian about Lada durability, he said, "Usually a car which doesn't make any power won't go fast enough to hurt itself; somehow Lada manages to destroy itself while going annoyingly slowly."

jack vines

Back