1982 Lada Niva

English is not my first language by durable i meant vehicle that can take punishment from off roading, won't break anything and keep going and going, most of problems with Niva's are from an old design, electrical connectors that are not sealed at all, using carburetor design in the 50's and using single points and condenser distributor with no ignition advance, things like that keep breaking, i've addressed most of them in my niva and will keep finding solution till i make it as good as it can be.

I'm taking a pretty important exam for my work on monday, i had to get out to clear my head from learning all the laws. So i took the little Niva across the woods and in no time i was in the next city. For some one who has use only the paved roads is surprising how short distances are when you cross the mountain across. The little niva work like champ, steering seems to be lighter as i drive it more and more, also the ride over the very bumpy corrugated roads is incredibly smooth. I drove across couple big mud pits it did not even span a tire, also the mud flaps do an amazing job in keeping it clean.
IMG_20191116_125743.jpgIMG_20191116_132333.jpgIMG_20191116_133717.jpgIMG_20191116_133749.jpgIMG_20191116_133806.jpg

New development on the little niva, i've been driving it a bunch now because my 605 is in the big garage getting fixed because it snap the bolts from the engine mount to the engine block. Today on the way back from work i noticed my oil pressure is down. I keep my eye on the low oil pressure light, it never come on and i know it is working because i installed a new switch for it, i checked the level it is right in the middle between min and max where i left it. So in instinct i bought some thicker oil some 20w50, has anyone had something like this happened an engine to drop its oil pressure?

I have had an engine lose oil pressure without reason, turned out to be a problem with the oil pump. I was very lucky to have stopped the engine in time to save it from major damage...

I would recommend verifying the oil pressure with a good verified pressure gauge right away. If the pressure has in fact dropped quickly, you could be risking engine damage.

The oil pressure is not non existent and the low oil pressure light is 0,6 bar and it never turns on even on hot engine but it seams be lower than it should, and when i got it nice and worm ( not overheating) 80 degrees centigrade for 3 hours on highway driving the pressure is near 0 bar, you can see it an idle and around 2500 rpm. Is not raising like on other cars i've own.
IMG_20191121_200449.jpgIMG_20191121_200439.jpg

Could it be a relief valve stuck open? Happened to my car once (not a Lada). The relief valve was between the pump and filter, it dumped oil right back into the sump pan with some but very little pressure left to go to the engine parts.

I would check it with a known good mechanical gauge. Its not uncommon to see a bad sending unit, or an issue with the wires between the sending unit, and the gauge.

I wouldnt depend on those Idiot style type of "warning" light that usually comes on AFTER the damage has been done!

The relief valve that @Tozguy talks about is usually a ball and spring, either in the side of the engine block beneath the oil filter or in the oil pump if it's crank driven. Sump type pumps also have a pressure regulator ball and spring to set the max oil pressure of the system. Could it have been left out?

Yesterday i was feeling awful, had a fever, high temperature and spent half the day in bad, but i had a dentist appointment. So i took the little Niva to go to the appointment there is a spot where only 4x4 can park and is always empty because new SUVs are too low and get scratch up. The little niva preformed flawless but when i got back as i parked i could small coolant, i fired it up and as i pulled forward i revved it couple of times and puff smoke bowl, i open the hood and the lower radiator hose blow, i'm not sure is it a bad clamp, or all the vibration from the bad u joint cause it, but as bad as i was feeling i just parked it back in its spot and went back to bed. This morning i looked at it and all the coolant that blow and leaked out left a big stain so one more mess to clean up.
IMG_20191124_153314.jpgIMG_20191124_153320.jpg

Back