1982 Lada Niva

Well, i've been buying more car parts and surprise surprise one more parts car followed me home. I was looking for a Turbo diesel peugeot engine for the little niva, but because their popularity they proved to be much harder to find than i thought. In the last place i bought the XUD9 they had this vehicle but it was in a very bed spot in the yard where using a engine hoist will be dangerous, the owner doesn't want to use any time to move it because he needs to move letualy tones of scrap to make a poth. The chain link fence it was parked next to had a hole in it, so i ask the owner how much for the entire car, he said 200 bucks a contract with 150 then he said i'll meet you in the middle if you can get it out today, he was thinking i'll disassemble it and tack what i can carry haha. We shook hands and i fired up the little niva drove behind the yard into a plowed field next to the hole in the fence, had to remove the ignition lock someone took the key, went to the owner called him over to steer the car and pulled it out with the little niva, thru the field around the block to the main road. Drove the guy back, pay him and call me a tow truck. He was surprised how much pulling power the little 4x4 had and how i taught to get it out that way. Not bad for 175$ but i don't think others would be able to get it out.
IMG_20200717_160900.jpgIMG_20200717_180319.jpg

I am still struggling that you ran across a Buick with Utah license plates on it. It made it to the other side of the world. I wonder how long it's been there. Do we need to get a back story on it?

joe

I am still struggling that you ran across a Buick with Utah license plates on it. It made it to the other side of the world. I wonder how long it's been there. Do we need to get a back story on it?

Sorry Joe, i don't know even who owns it, the date on the plate was 1996 so i'm assuming that was the year that it was brought, you can tell it's been here long time and not driven at all, because it's not rusty and it has white wall tires that are extremely old.
buic.jpg

i'm no expert on licence plates, but i'm sure there was no website back then, the bottom left corner there is an address with .com, this could be a fake plate, and google in confirm it, this is a fake number plate.

116.jpg

Actually, those style of plates were introduced in 1996. There would have been some number tags that would tell the year of registration, and that would have been any year after 1995. I don't see those tags, but I could go look up the owner history if needed. I am just baffled. I like license plates, and have a small collection (it hasn't grown in the last 15 years), but was surprised to see a home state plate so far away.

joe

Today i spent around 6 hours disassembling the latest parts car i purchased, stripping cars for parts here is a bit more difficult here. Scrap yards won't take the body shell as a whole, i need to remove most of the plastics and other materials just to leave the steel. And i have to cut the body in pieces so i can take it out with my little trailer. Removing the front end was easy, i did cut apart the front bumper and put it in a trash bag, in fact most of the interior went in trash bags. The glass on this car has some value, so i took my time, disassembling all the doors removing glass, mechanisms. Then i used and old hood cable to cut out the windscreens and one of the rear quarter window, the drivers side was homemade from ordinary glass, few more hours on the mechanics should be ready to make space for other projects.
I hope you like seeing this process how i can get parts so cheap.
IMG_20200718_150719.jpgIMG_20200721_193327.jpgIMG_20200721_193313.jpgIMG_20200721_193240.jpgIMG_20200721_193235.jpg

Well, engine is out and most of the interior, also chop the roof to have easier access, now is a rolling skateboard, i need to clean up a bit before i continue, as big of a garage i have is getting tight.
IMG_20200724_210145.jpg

Today i finish disassembling the parts car, front end come off easy, supported the body with my engine crane. Then i remove the carpet insulation, wiring, fuel tank, lines, rear axle. Then came the dirty job of cutting apart the body. Anybody that has deal with that knows the struggles, unibody cars have 3-4 even more sheets of steel in every corner. It was a real workout to chop it up and move it by myself, my injured back is at the point where i can do anything i want, but i'm careful.
IMG_20200726_180438.jpgIMG_20200727_213328.jpgIMG_20200727_213333.jpgIMG_20200727_213256.jpg

Back