1982 Lada Niva

I have never done that.
I hope it wasn't with a hacksaw and chisel!

-brino

That was my thought, saw or chisel? We did that last summer. Ironically enough, a Fiat 850 (903) Spyder. Once the engine and trans was out, we picked up the carrcass and slammed it on the ground a few times. After that we only had to sawzall a few points in the sills. Rusty, it was.

I work in the film biz. When you see a superhero smash cars or any extreme dents happen on film, the cars have been prepped. We go in and cut out the the interior layers of sheet metal leaving the exterior undamaged and rig pneumatic cylinders to pull the body in. IT SUCKS!

Back in high school my buddy and I did that with a Mercury Capri that we left in front of the auto shop gate as a senior prank.

Back in high school my buddy and I did that with a Mercury Capri that we left in front of the auto shop gate as a senior prank.

Haha, and i thought you've example student material, haha.

Back in highschool me and my friends, would carry our bad teacher's cars and put them in between trees, so they would not be able to drive out, back then they all drive Yugo's and small fiats. We did this so often the teacher started to walk to work haha.

My garage is still full of scrap. I'm waiting on the scrapman to grab it, but that did not stop me from looking for more parts and finally i found a seller that will guarantee that his gearbox is in great working condition. This is a Lada 5 speed gearbox. I order it from the other side of my country and this arrived. This is obviously from a car because it has speedo drive on the side which isn't a bad ting, they don't get as hard life. The shifter boot is ripped and in shipping it got turn over and leaked the gear oil. I stood it next to my spare 4 speed, they are identical in size, only difference is the rear housing and shifter mechanism.
IMG_20200730_192812.jpgIMG_20200730_194455_2.jpg

Yeah, Fiat designed a very nice compact four speed box. Worked well. Then they started exporting it to the US, and we were like "Hey! What about a reverse gear???". This was apparently a foreign concept to the Italians, why would anyone want to go back to where they were? But they did oblige us by tacking a reversing gear stack out the back under the shifter. Then they noted that with some creative packaging and Porsche style spring-ring synchros they could get a 5th gear in there along with reverse.

Wish I had it that easy. Every time I want to change from a four to a five, or five to a six now, I need to cut up the shift linkage and driveshaft. And now I have this seven speed SMG box I'm thinking of fitting.....

Back