1984 Taiwan lathe parts

Shane1

Registered
Registered
Hi all, apologies if i've posted in the wrong area, Victoria Australia based. I have an 80's Taiwanese lathe i'm giving a birthday and now its time to find some missing parts, if possible. Mine is badged as Glentanner GT900G 1984 build 12"x36", 12 speed belt drive, but heaps of other Taiwan built lathes all appear the same but might be slightly different by dimensions which i can make fit. I am needing the two speed motor pulley or size of, headstock-lock nuts 1&3/4 x 16 tpi , lh drive gear and seal retainer, complete tumbler gear assembly and the next gear set down-idler? And both quick change levers on the front and maybe electrics-switches, 1hp motor etc. See pics for required bits.
The most similar lathes i can find on google are : Frejoth F1900G, DSL900CH by Enco, Dar-Sin and Crown, then comes the rest of the Taiwan lathes: Enco 110-2033 & 92030, mcmillan 1224, herless ssb10bs or ssb15bs, warco bh600, jet 1236py, lantaine 350b, hafco al350b etc etc.
Once i get this lathe running i will be looking for any tooling as i only have a 4 jaw chuck and faceplate for it but getting it running comes first.
Any advise, info or leads will much appreciated.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1588736826031.jpg
    FB_IMG_1588736826031.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 136
  • FB_IMG_1588736830773.jpg
    FB_IMG_1588736830773.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 139
  • FB_IMG_1588736837786.jpg
    FB_IMG_1588736837786.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 119
  • FB_IMG_1588736819612.jpg
    FB_IMG_1588736819612.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 116
  • FB_IMG_1588736844014.jpg
    FB_IMG_1588736844014.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 127
Welcome to the site! I see your Google results include the JET brand which was (and is) very popular in the US. I've got a JET 1024P which looks very similar to your lathe.

I'm not going to be able to help with parts sourcing, but I am curious to know what size threads are on the spindle of your machine. The early versions of my JET lathe had a very odd spindle nose thread at 60mm and 8TPI. Chucks and faceplates can be hard to find.

Hi Jakes, this lathe has a 2 1/4 , 8tpi thread for the chuck. The general concesus is that the Taiwanese lathes are all the same yet there are so many minor differences that make finding parts a challenge.

Hello and welcome, yes here in the states looking for the Jet or Grizzly equivalent and trying their parts would be an option. It can be a little hit/miss and I'm not sure if it would make sense with shipping to Australia.

However I'm curious about this lathe "birthday". Mine is quite a bit older than yours so it might not appreciate it;)

Cheers,

John

This looks almost identical to my Enco 110-2033 or a Grizzly G9249. Spare parts are available from Grizzly but lead times can be long if they need to order from China. I got all my change gears from them but it took nearly 6 months. That might be an outlier though.

Here is a link to my thread on my lathe. You might find some of the info useful:

It is a quite capable lathe. I've been happy with it.

Hello @Shane1,
parts may be a bit difficult to acquire, but i'm happy to provide pictures and dimensions of parts, should you decide to make them.
i have 2 1236 Shenwai SW900B's from the same vintage as your machine

here is a manual in case you don't have one!

Attachments

• Manual_Jet-Lathe-1024P(S)-&-1236P(S).pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 98
Welcome to H-M.

Grizzly industrial still sells parts for their version of this lathe. I can’t say if the parts will fit your version, but I did purchase some change gears for my Jet 1024p and they fit. Shipping down under may be a bit pricey. But, generally Grizzly’s prices for parts have been fair.

Hope this helps.

Hi guys, some of the Jet lathes and the Grizzlys are similar yet different in different areas to mine, new is an option but not having the parts to measure and confirm details is a little daunting especially when overseas freight is involved
@macardoso, i have had a good look through your article (great write up) and agreed, it is very similar machine.
@Ulma Doctor, thanks for the manual, will definately be handy, interestingly the Jets use a different belt setup as both mine would be inside the casting.
Some dimensions that would help the hunt would be motor pulley size, tooth count on the required gears and headstock shaft diameter at the left (gear drive) end and an easy one, motor hp. I have a 1/2 hp motor here but i'm not convinced it is big enough.
Thanks and regards
Shane

Gday Shane.
I have a McMillan that is a rebadged Lontain. Still, similar to yours in some areas. Last year I upgraded mine from a .75Kw (1HP) single phase motor to a 1.4Kw (2HP) 3 phase motor running off a single to 3 phase VFD. Absolute best thing I have done to it. Its quieter and no longer has the hard thumping start it used to have on single phase. The speed control makes it a lot nicer to use as well.
The other thing I have done is make a special spanner (basically a split clamp with a handle) to clamp onto the out board end of the spindle to hold the spindle when loosening the chuck. Rather than locking with the back gear. My back gear already has a busted and dodgily repaired tooth (before my time) which is more than likely a result of locking the spindle to remove the chuck.
I can measure the motor pulley on mine if you want but not until the weekend (and if I remember, so don't hesitate to remind me)
Compared to most on this forum I'm just around the corner from you. (Newcastle NSW)
regards
Peter

Hi Peter, there had to be a few locals on here, never mind how big the corner is The VFD setup sounds great, is it expensive to set up? I like the headstock spanner idea too, i will definately make somthing up when i get it operational. The McMillans do look extremely close to mine so much so that they are almost identical. If you could run a few measurements for me that would be awesome and maybe the belt lengths too, i did see a B33 as the top belt in one of the photos i have found.
Thanks and regards

Back