1984 Taiwan lathe parts

Shane.
Re the VFD. It all depends on what you get. You can get a reasonable priced (Huanyang) VFD from Aliexpress for less than $300 aud. You can also pay big money and get a real good quality brand. You also have to replace the motor with a 3 phase one. One that can be easily configured to star or delta is preferable. You can buy a new one for around $220 aud plus freight. The other option of course, is to keep an eye out for a good used motor. If its fairly recent there is a good chance it can be reconfigured to delta in the connection box. Older motors need to be opened up and the internal connection points brought out. I have not done this myself yet. From what I was able to pick up from reading on the net when I was converting my mill and then my lathe, the general consensus seems to be that older motors do not handle a vfd real well for a number of reasons. (most of which I can no longer remember). There are also places that sell motors and a suitable VFD as a package. eg https://cononmotor.com.au/
With my lathe I picked up the motor and the VFD for $125aud. The motor was from a four post car hoist. The owner had bought it new but didn't have 3 phase power. Bought the VFD but then decided it was easier to change out the motor for a single phase one. So the motor and vfd were basically new. (although the motor bearings where almost shot from new). The main problem I had was, this motor was a flange mount and I needed a foot mount. So I fabricated an adaptor for it. It worked out really well. Basically a weekends work. If you put an hourly rate on it though it would have been far cheaper just to buy a new motor that fitted out of the box. Having said that, whats the point of having all this gear if you don't use it?
I'll try to remember to get those measurements for you on the weekend.
Peter

Shane.
Measured the pulleys today.
On the motor the sizes are small is 62mm and the large is 90mm Motor shaft dia is 24mm
On the other end (counter shaft) the pulleys are small 127mm (5") and the large is 152mm (6")
Belt is B30. In fact both belts are B30's
regards
Peter

Hi Pete, thanks heaps for the measurements , just to confirm are the pulley sizes are to the top of the V not the bottom of groove? And B30 belt make things easier :)
Regards Shane

Hi Shane, I have your Glentanner lathe as well. I live in NSW Australia. Did you get the measurements you need, if not I can probably help out. I'm looking for a back gear for mine as the smaller gear is missing some teeth and is unusable. I'm thinking of ordering one from Grizzly on the chance it will do the job. Also has your lathe got the label for the thread cutting change gears. My lathe was refurbished by Parsons machinery at some stage in it's life and the label is missing. I'm struggling to cut the correct thread not knowing the gear set up.
Regards
Alan

I'm looking for a back gear for mine as the smaller gear is missing some teeth and is unusable. I
Alan. Probably been broken off due to the backgear being used to lock the spindle when removing the chuck. If you cant get a replacement gear, yours could probably be repaired. Just depends on how desperate you are. Ideal would be to pin the area where the teeth need to be replaced and then build up the area with cast iron welding or even bronze brazing. Then re machine. However its not impossible to to recut the teeth using hand tools if you can't get it machined. The teeth wouldn't be perfect, but with care and time, a pretty reasonable job could be done. Its not like its a car gearbox or something that is going to be used 24/7. My apologies if you already know all this.
I made a spanner (for want of a better name) that clamps to the end of the spindle (behind the change gear cover) to lock the spindle when removing the chuck. My lathe has also had a tooth broken off the small end of the back gear. Its been repaired by pinning and welding (before my time)
Regards
Peter

Hi Alan, i have some pulley and belt dimensions supplied from Peter, but with yours being the same machine it would be great if you could confirm them. I have only 1 plate for gear selections in poor condition which is identical to a Morgan i found a photo of online, pics attached. With the onset of covid and not being able to travel i have basically parked the lathe in the corner and forgotten about it. Parts for it just dont seem to exist and any supplier i spoke to didnt want to know about it. Unfortunate but reality says throw it in the bin and buy a new one.
Shane.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200503-204909.jpg
    Screenshot_20200503-204909.jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 43
  • 20200909_234344.jpg
    20200909_234344.jpg
    950.8 KB · Views: 40
Back