1st Lathe Project

Ken S

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Punch.JPG
Hi everyone. I'm new here and as green as you can get on a lathe. This is my first ever attempt to make something and it's only the first part of a small slide hammer center punch.
I would like to tell you what I learned and hopefully you can steer me away from any bad habits I'm forming.
1. I learned it's important to find center on my stock and drill it correctly
2. I learned I need to get some center drill bits. It's a bear trying to keep my work from moving around when it's not drilled right.
3. I learned a new cutting tool isn't necessarily sharp and how to sharpen one (I think)
4. I learned I need to minimize the overhang of my cutting tool or it vibrates.
5. I learned to start with a long enough piece of stock so I won't have to re-position the piece in the lathe. (Hard to impossible to get it centered again)
6. I learned threading ain't easy and I learned those numbers on that little dial where you lock the saddle to the leadscrew mean something. I think I learned that you have to start the feed on the same number every time to properly cut threads. Is that right? As you can see, I figured that out too late so I'll have to cut it off and shorten.
Any tips on threading would be most welcome.
Ken

Threading on your first piece is pretty ambitious. Yes, start on same number. There are variations on this, but the same number is always right. Thread slow. no, thread slower. it's not a race. When you're good at it then you can speed up, a little. The best threading cutter is not good enough, you'll never get a perfect one. Live with it or get a die. Thread with the threads coated in cutting oil. Yeah, gotta clean it off to see where you are. No oil may equal ruined threads.

Threading on your first piece is pretty ambitious. Yes, start on same number. There are variations on this, but the same number is always right. Thread slow. no, thread slower. it's not a race. When you're good at it then you can speed up, a little. The best threading cutter is not good enough, you'll never get a perfect one. Live with it or get a die. Thread with the threads coated in cutting oil. Yeah, gotta clean it off to see where you are. No oil may equal ruined threads.

Thanks Tom, I didn't know there were tools just for threading. That could be one of the reasons I did such a bad job, Ha ha. I'll have to look into getting the right tool.

Pretty good for a first job. For threads that small its usually better to just use a die.

Order of operation is also something to keep in mind. And for repositioning, use a 4jaw chuck to get things perfectly centered.

Hi
+1 "Pretty good for a first job. For threads that small its usually better to just use a die."

Your part looks great threading is definitely an art. I ended up buying some Arthur P. Warner HHS thread inserts and it helped me alot. I helped me figure out that I don't know how to sharpen a tool.

Hi Ken,
it looks like you are doing well for the first time!
there is hundreds of hours of shop videos on you tube that can explain things.
of the many, i'd mention these to start,
Tom's Techniques
That Lazy Machinist, aka Marc Lecuyer
Mr.Pete222, aka Tubaicain

once you get your fill of these, there are hundreds more! :D

Thanks for the tips and videos, I'll check them out.

Very nice job, you're addicted now!

Bruce

Back