1st Lathe Project

Lol Bruce, if drooling over milling machines means I'm addicted then I'm addicted. I'm spending my lunch hours
watching how to videos and checking tracking numbers hoping my metal order comes a day early.

Ken
There are lots of things to learn from green, stick with it just be safe doing it. A lathe of any good size can and will tear your arm off.
Now to the important stuff:
What kind of lathe do you have?
Do you have any of the How to Run a Lathe books?

Your finish on your slide hammer looks real nice. Keep up the good work and everyday's a day to learn something.
Nelson

Hi Nelson, thanks for the warning. I've worked around machinery all my life and unfortunately have seen some gruesome results of carelessness.
I even have a few stitches from a key mill as a reminder but safety sure needs to be hammered into my hard head.
I have a harbor freight mini lathe that I thought was given to me but it turns out I'm just storing it for a period of time. I'm just thankful to be able to use it for awhile.
The search is on for a lathe and mill. I'm going through the same decision process I'm sure you all have been through on size and price and the "do I really need one that big" question.
Import or old american made. There aren't any used machines close to me and I'm leery of buying one sight unseen so I'm really leaning toward the Grizzly products.
I've narrowed it down to the 602 and G4003. Grizzly is having a tent sale in June so I'll probably go up and try my luck there.
I have not read any books but I've learn a ton from youtube and machinist sites like this one.

Ken
If you can afford to buy new and you have not seen anything become available in your area, well do it. All machines are workable, some do it better than others. You will never regret doing it. The hours of enjoyment on a machine, you can not put a price on it. Looking forward to the new projects coming.

You did a really good job on that Ken. I can't thread on my lathe so your ahead of me already. I have to agree with the videos. Tubalcain is my favorite.

I'm afraid your addicted now. It's like lead poisoning, it never goes away it just gets worse.

Enjoy
--Chip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You did a really good job on that Ken. I can't thread on my lathe so your ahead of me already. I have to agree with the videos. Tubalcain is my favorite.

I'm afraid your addicted now. It's like lead poisoning, it never goes away it just gets worse.

Enjoy
--Chip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Chip, it's definitely gotten ahold of me. I decided the advice to use a tap and die was pretty sound so I just turned it the next size smaller and finished it up. Still can't thread (yet).
I'm agonizing over 2 Logan lathes I found. One is a 920 that looks restored and the other is a 1957 that doesn't look well cared for. I like the 36" between centers on the 1957 but I can't think of a good reason why. The 920 is 24" I think. More goodies with the 1957 too but it's a 6 hour drive from me and the 920 is 45 min.

Decisions...decisions

Back