2 Phase Motor

OK, here is the long awaited data plate picture. I'm posting this for invisabledog

IMG_20141124_102403.jpg

IMG_20141124_102403.jpg

Thanks Jim, for posting the picture for me. The guy I got it from has the switch box they used to run it. I'm going to get that and see if it sheds any light on thing. If not, then the motor will be a neat old conversation piece. I jus picked up a milling machine that is 3 phase, that will need a converter. I'll just remotor the drill press and if I happen across a 3 phase for it i'll be set.

Ok, i'ts really 2 phase, then. I was wrong about GE never having made any.

Probably made after JP Morgan fired Edison, and Edison General Electric became General Electric. I don't think Edison would have allowed a AC motor to be made in his plant.

Edison personally had little to do with the manufacturing companies.

Thomson-Houston effectively swallowed Edison General Electric in 1892, and Edison's name was dropped from the combined company. This was arranged by the Boston bankers that ran Thomson-Houston in Lynn, as their company was in better financial shape than Morgan's. Edison GE had taken notes from the operating companies instead of cash in payment for equipment, so they had no money.

I don't imagine that Elihu Thomson was any more pleased than Edison was, but he remained with the company.

Last edited:
Don't get me started on Edison...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've made arrangements to go pick up the original switch/control box they used to run the motor. Going to get it this comming Saturday. Hopefully this will answer some questions or possibly create new ones. :thinking:

Last edited:
I've made arrangements to go pick up the original switch/control box they used to run the motor. Going to get it this comming Saturday. Hopefully this will answer some questions or possibly create new ones. :thinking:

Please get us some pictures.

Last edited:
Re: 2 Phase Motor/power switch picture

Picked up the switch today. According to the label inside the cover, it's a magnetic starter. The yellow, red and black wires on the left run to another box with an on/off switch. Input connections which are cut are labled L1, L2 and L3. The guy claims it was running in his shop, but he didn't wire it.

View attachment 89143

Re: 2 Phase Motor/power switch picture

Picked up the switch today. According to the label inside the cover, it's a magnetic starter. The yellow, red and black wires on the left run to another box with an on/off switch. Input connections which are cut are labled L1, L2 and L3. The guy claims it was running in his shop, but he didn't wire it.

That looks to be a standard 3 phase connection. If it is truly a 2 phase system one of the heaters will be different the the other two. You may end up needing to get us a picture of the windings on the motor in order to resolve what you really have.

Art B

Back