20 Foot Shipping Container Metal Shop

Fantastic job Paul!! Not meaning to pry but would you be able to let us know what you have spent on the container so far? Would you say this has worked out cheaper than other possibilities, or was the cost secondary to the "portability" of the container?

You're not prying at all. To date I spent:

- Container £2000
- Insulation and wall / ceiling sheeting £1000
- Flooring £700
- Electrical, lights and networking £500

The total: £4200

This was a cheaper, faster and more portable solution than anything else available. I didn't need permission from the council and it allowed me to have a garage at a rented property. I would do it again howbeit a little faster next time around now that I have learned a few lessons.

Paul.

Thanks for the tour, you've done an amazing job there. There's a container down the hill from me that had the doors open, and I spied much to my amazement a milling machine and general workshop area. Just goes to show how universal our hobby is when you can find it on a tiny island like ours. Cheers, Mike

Last edited:
Hi Paul.
One question: Where are you going to put your new Schaublin 135?
I thought your shop was smaller than mine - it's larger! Not by much, but still...
I meet up with a new friend living near Oslo next Tuesday - if you need something
from down here, I can ask him, if he'll take it home.

Cheers
Erik

Hi Paul.
Thank you for the video - I enjoyed it a lot and it's nice to hear your twang again.
But you made me want a dental compressor, of course.:encourage:
I still need to sort out how I'll furnish my shop. I don't like it as it is. But it's hard to
imagine my machines being anywhere else, than they are. My FP2 take up a lot of room
while you have, your albeit smaller, FP1 tucked away in such a small space, that I don't
feel convinced you'll like using it that way.
How are you heating your shop?
Cheers
Erik

Hi Paul.
One question: Where are you going to put your new Schaublin 135?
I thought your shop was smaller than mine - it's larger! Not by much, but still...
I meet up with a new friend living near Oslo next Tuesday - if you need something
from down here, I can ask him, if he'll take it home.

Cheers
Erik

I have my own business and have started it up again. I have now leased a workshop of 220 square meters so the Schaublin will be housed there. Thanks for the offer to bring some things. I would love some tool holders but don't think I'll have the time to organize them by then.

Hi Paul.
Thank you for the video - I enjoyed it a lot and it's nice to hear your twang again.
But you made me want a dental compressor, of course.:encourage:
I still need to sort out how I'll furnish my shop. I don't like it as it is. But it's hard to
imagine my machines being anywhere else, than they are. My FP2 take up a lot of room
while you have, your albeit smaller, FP1 tucked away in such a small space, that I don't
feel convinced you'll like using it that way.
How are you heating your shop?
Cheers
Erik

I am using IR heaters to save on power. The IR heats the solid objects and then they heat the air. It's the most efficient way I have found to heat the shop. You are likely right about the FP1 and it's positioning however I have some extra room when I lift the lathe from the pallet. It will give me another couple inches or so. I may even move the machine to the new workshop to help out with prototyping. I'll Skype you and give you the tour so you can see my new workspace :)

Paul.

Hi Paul. I was just wondering how you are getting on with your workshop, and how you are finding the layout, workflow etc? What sort of projects have you been able to tackle in your new space? Cheers!

I've owned and used several containers over the years, every one was a non insulated type and without exception, all had a very heavy duty wood and steel beam floor, you shouldn't have to do anything to the floor to make it usable.
I looked hard at an insulated container, but the floor in the one I checked out was aluminum and was of a design that would need a wood floor installed to make it usable.
I like the idea another poster suggested about removing the door and fabbing a bolt together design from wood, that you can remove and store inside the container when you have to move it.
Rather than selling off our tools, do you think your neighbors would object to two 20 footers side by side? By changing out the doors,as mentioned above you could have a nice looking front to both of them that the neighbors would see.
In any case, I applaud you for utilizing a container, it's always better to recycle when you can.
My next project is to build a guest house in a 40 footer.
olcop

Interesting discussion about shipping containers...

Years ago, I was involved in a project to use a shipping container for an 'on site lab'...
The purpose of the lab was to provide an ASTM approved environment for curing concrete test cylinders... forgot the specs, however it was something like 95%+ humidity and 70-72 D/F... for 30 days straight, for each cylinder. And of course, cylinders were cycled in and out, as the concrete was poured.

When we were looking at containers at a large yard... the guy walked us to the back:
Seems they were working on a project putting 3 containers together side by side, cutting doorways through, attempting to make a home.
Never went back to see if it worked out... however we did walk through the 'shell'... and it was more than roomy enough for modest living.
I would HATE to try to heat and AC it though... without some serious insulation.
Side note: When insulating a metal building that is studded inside... one need to NOT have the studs touching the metal frame. The heat or cold will transmit from the metal building frame into the studs and into the living space.

We bought one to store surplus equipment behind our building at work. All I can say is we dubbed it the "rust-o-matic". Anything stored in there became a ball of rust in short order. Temp and humidity swings killed things. If you do use one be sure to seal and climate control it.

Back