20 Foot Shipping Container Metal Shop

Thanks for the reply.
Some how I had the idea that you planned on mounting cabinets to the walls. Maybe that was someone else or I just imagined it. Anyway, no fear with just tool boards.
The latest floor plan solves my saw/stock length issue too.

I should have mentioned before, your bridge crane will be a joy every time you use it. You're doing a great job.

Thanks for the reply.
Some how I had the idea that you planned on mounting cabinets to the walls. Maybe that was someone else or I just imagined it. Anyway, no fear with just tool boards.
The latest floor plan solves my saw/stock length issue too.

I should have mentioned before, your bridge crane will be a joy every time you use it. You're doing a great job.

Thanks :acne: I had decided against cabinets since the container is so small, I didn't want to make it feel any smaller by having cabinets at eye level. I also have a way of mounting brackets to the H beams to mount heavy items so I don't have to mount anything heavy on the walls although I am really trying to keep the walls clean.

This has really been an exercise in patience and perseverance. I also have had to be brutal in deciding what to keep and what to get rid of since the floor area is so tiny.

Paul.

Thanks for the reply.

I should tell you that you did make me nervous though. I rang a friend yesterday who works with offshore containers and spoke to him about the paint / glue issue. His opinion was that the painting process is carefully regulated and must follow precise processes so the adhesion and holding to the paint would be better than adhesion to bare metal. He said the primer and paint used is extremely tough and is design to take abuse without chipping or flaking easily as these containers are often ill treated and must hold out against rust for at least 5 years.

I redid half of the wiring with a friend of mine last night. I wasn't happy with how it looked when I did it the first time and when I move the rest of the machines in, it will be nearly impossible to get to the cables. We decided to use ducting this time around instead as it looks neater. The cables are quite large as I decided to go with 2.5mm square rather than the standard 1.5mm square cables for the 3 phase supply.

WP_20150811_07_51_00_Pro_zpslh8vfdqt.jpg

I'll be installing an electrical contactor as well so I can control the RPC that feeds the electrical panel. I still have not tidied up the RPC as this will take a little more creativity and finesse to make it a feature rather than trying to hide it away from view. More to come this evening when we finish the wiring.

Paul.

You're just showing off now. :)

Those grey/blue receptacles look like they might be expensive. Care to share?

Are your peg boards a commercial product or did you do the high gloss finish? What material are they? Looking very good.

You're just showing off now. :)

Those grey/blue receptacles look like they might be expensive. Care to share?

Are your peg boards a commercial product or did you do the high gloss finish? What material are they? Looking very good.

:big grin: The receptacles are the 3 phase outlets and they are not that expensive - about 12 USD. We have a store here called Biltema where they sell most of this stuff and nearly everything is made in China hence the low price. I also bought the tool boards there. The boards are high gloss enamel paint on sheet metal and there are a large number of different brackets and shelves available for the boards which is why I went with this solution - and also because it is reasonably cheap by Norwegian standards.

I did some more wiring last night with an electrician friend and am nearly done. I will be installing an electrical contactor between the mains and the RPC as well just to make sure everything can be safely turned off. We redid some wiring yesterday as my friend (who is a perfectionist) couldn't sleep as he was unhappy with some of the cables in the ducting. I always trust the instinct of people who take pride in their work so we went back and redid some of the wiring to a standard he was happy with. Once we were done I then set up my handtools on the tool boards so we can easily locate what we are looking for.

As I am getting closer to finishing I am realizing how much work it will be to get all the drawers and cabinets organized. I have accumulated alot of random components in the off chance I will find a use for them one day. Now I no longer have room so I am having to be quite pragmatic and strict about what I choose to keep.

Paul.

I have now finished the wiring of all the outlets and all that is left is the enclosure for the RPC! :eagerness: I have also set up my old tool boards so I no longer need to search for my most commonly used tools.

WP_20150814_20_48_34_Pro_zpslrfrpgdl.jpg

WP_20150814_20_50_56_Pro_zps4xuyabg9.jpg

I have also moved in the drill press and the laptop. I went with a stand to keep the workbench free from clutter. This way the laptop can be swung out of the way.

WP_20150814_22_51_29_Pro_zpsqgtwgjod.jpg

The cabinets I bought for the container were in pretty bad shape so I have also re/painted them now. I will paint the drawer faces later. Some before and after shots:

WP_20150704_19_19_35_Pro%20-%20Copy_zpsu9yyoagp.jpg

WP_20150704_20_54_20_Pro_zpskxpvnaxg.jpg

And this is the final result:

WP_20150814_20_48_57_Pro_zpskvxlqry4.jpg

WP_20150814_20_49_20_Pro_zpshchvurr6.jpg

WP_20150814_22_51_59_Pro_zpsjlsehnep.jpg

I have also been working on removing the labels from my small parts storage. That has been a huge job as I have had to glue some of trays as they were cracked and have had to wash every tray as well. I will hopefully get the RPC boxed up and mounted tomorrow and should fetch the last cabinet over the weekend. The last cabinet is large and needs repainting and some body work. More pictures to follow...

Paul.

That looks more like a surgery suite than a shop! You are going to give Darkzero a run for the cleanest shop around. Absolutely beautiful work! Thanks, Brooks slinks off to clean up his messy shop....

That looks more like a surgery suite than a shop! You are going to give Darkzero a run for the cleanest shop around. Absolutely beautiful work! Thanks, Brooks slinks off to clean up his messy shop....

Don't sweat it Brooks, it's only clean like this because I have such a small space I can't afford any clutter.

I can't find all the brackets I would like to have on the walls so I have decided to buy a finger brake to make a few oil pans and brackets. In a shop this size you can't have a 40 inch unit so I have opted for a 24 inch brake. I am going to pick it up next Tuesday. I will be making alot from aluminium so I hope the max thickness of 1.25mm applies to steel:

74_653414251_zpsds5xp0nz.jpg

74_613513309_zpsdpdyigun.jpg

Don't ask how much these cost in Norway,it will terrify you :eek 2: I am of course buying it secondhand and will likely mount it on a cabinet. I'll post more pictures of the RPC and bench tops when I get back from church.

Paul.

I spent some time yesterday boxing up the RPC:

WP_20150815_12_06_25_Pro_zpszo1qf0gp.jpg

WP_20150815_19_55_15_Pro_zpsedjdstmw.jpg

WP_20150816_21_23_52_Pro_zpsgm9gs71b.jpg

WP_20150816_21_24_29_Pro_zps0rmzs3s5.jpg

The inside will have sound deadening and a labyrinth air intake and exhaust. It will also have a pererspex door to seal in the noise. I also repaired the emergency stop on my drill press:

WP_20150816_21_24_05_Pro_zpsjnkjxpbq.jpg

Set up the compressor and hose reel:

WP_20150816_21_23_33_Pro_zpsf0n8nvis.jpg

And installed a white board for sketches and calculations:

WP_20150816_21_25_08_Pro_zpszocysval.jpg

So I now have 3 phase and single phase shop power, shop air and my drill press up and running. I need to finish the RPC enclosure and move in the other machines this week. I am trying my best to stay busy and tackle a few tasks each day.

Paul.

Last edited:
Just gorgeous Paul.

I was wondering what your plan is to secure all your rolling gear (cabinets and machines) for transit.

"To be revealed at a later date" would be an acceptable answer. I can wait. I just don't want to miss it.

Keep up the great work.

Back