2013 POTD Thread Archive

I have a quickchange toolpost that I havn't used much becuase I had to put the compound parallel to the work axis due to the way the compound was made. I could not rotate the toolpost.

I found some time tonight (wife and kids are gone this week) to mount up the compound on my sliding compound vice on my atlas drill press and take off some of the cast so the new toolpost could be rotated. Here's a quick vid.

<span style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); background-color: rgb(255, 255, 247);">[video=youtube;fK1wQwrnCa4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fK1wQwrnCa4&amp;feature=c4-overview&amp;list=UUL9jxaVoguCp5RiUCFDZL9Q[/video]

Yesterday I finished installing a DRO on my Enco 105 mill/drill. Bought the battery powered DRO from a vendor in one of the magazines. Made "U" brackets for top & bottom from1/8" X 1/2" flat stock. Used 1/8" X 3/4" X 3/4" angle in a corner between the brackets, Used part of an irrigation wheel spoke between a bracket on the bottom of the quill up to the movable read-out unit. It doesn't look very professional but it seems to work OK. I left the plastic cover and verticle scale plate on the machine to prevent chips from building up around the quill.

If you loosen the compound angle adjustment a little bit, you can use the compound as a radius cutter. Make sure it is not too loose, or you will get wicked chatter and sloppy cuts, and feed the compound past the pivot point towards the center of the lathe, to make concave radii, and the opposite way for external radii. Obviously this method will only make as large of a radius as your compound has travel, but it is a neat trick none the less.

Something like this.
View attachment 59184

-Cody

Hey Cody, I see you found my old post. Yep right out of the book don't need the fancy stuff
sam

Haven't spent much time in the shop lately. I've been out cutting hay, until yesterday. The left wheel on the swather started to jerk just as I was pulling into the yard. Started to pull it apart and find I have to replace about 6 bearing and 2 oil seals. On bearing was totally destroyed, the reason for the wheel to jerk. After spending 4 hours getting to the problem, I'm not going to leave the other old bearings in there. I may be cheap but $200.00 worth of bearings and seals now is a lot better than spending another day or so under that machine. My knees are bad enough without this punishment. Anyway, better days ahead. At least I didn't spoil any shafts!:allgood:

Finally got to complete the paint removal on the old atlas press, got some painting done too. It's amazing how much can get done in a day even with a day job, when the wife and kids are not around.

Ajax-20130714-00586.jpgAjax-20130731-00664.jpgAjax-20130820-00714.jpgAjax-20130820-00713.jpgAjax-20130820-00712.jpgAjax-20130820-00711.jpgAjax-20130820-00710.jpgAjax-20130731-00675.jpg

[video=youtube;eRcZzTLWANs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRcZzTLWANs&amp;feature=c4-overview&amp;list=UUL9jxaVoguCp5RiUCFDZL9Q[/video]

Ajax-20130714-00586.jpg Ajax-20130731-00664.jpg Ajax-20130820-00714.jpg Ajax-20130820-00713.jpg Ajax-20130820-00712.jpg Ajax-20130820-00711.jpg Ajax-20130820-00710.jpg Ajax-20130731-00675.jpg

Haven't spent much time in the shop lately. I've been out cutting hay, until yesterday. The left wheel on the swather started to jerk just as I was pulling into the yard. Started to pull it apart and find I have to replace about 6 bearing and 2 oil seals. On bearing was totally destroyed, the reason for the wheel to jerk. After spending 4 hours getting to the problem, I'm not going to leave the other old bearings in there. I may be cheap but $200.00 worth of bearings and seals now is a lot better than spending another day or so under that machine. My knees are bad enough without this punishment. Anyway, better days ahead. At least I didn't spoil any shafts!:allgood:

I was surprised to read a posting about cutting hay this late in the season, here in California we cut our hay in April, oh you guys are a little farther north. You made the right decision to replace all of those beaing given they all have probably been in there the same length of time. Hope you have a good crop.

M.L. Woy

It's probably even the second cutting. We get as much done as possible in the time alotted here up north.

Finally got to complete the paint removal on the old atlas press, got some painting done too. It's amazing how much can get done in a day even with a day job, when the wife and kids are not around.

View attachment 59259View attachment 59260View attachment 59261View attachment 59262View attachment 59263View attachment 59264View attachment 59265View attachment 59266

[video=youtube;eRcZzTLWANs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRcZzTLWANs&amp;feature=c4-overview&amp;list=UUL9jxaVoguCp5RiUCFDZL9Q[/video]

Looks like a great job you are doing to get the old Atlas back into condition. Looking forward to seeing it all assembled.

M.L.Woy

- - - Updated - - -

It's probably even the second cutting. We get as much done as possible in the time alotted here up north.

Cut on!

I know it is late to be cutting hay but I am down to the last 15 acres when the machine went down (this time). This is our first and only cut. There are very few here in Northern Ontario get any second cut. While the swather is down, I decided to see why the cross slide on my lathe was so tight to crank back and forth. Tore it all down to find an errant piece of brass in the nut where it shouldn't be. After removing this the cross slide is as smooth as silk.
The cross slide has power feed and every once in a while the handwheel will get turned to one side or the other and the cross slide will bind up terribly. Has anyone else had this problem? This is an old Lodge and Shipley 16" x 48".

Thanks
Stan

Hey Cody, I see you found my old post. Yep right out of the book don't need the fancy stuff
sam

This is a terrific idea! Too bad it will soon get buried in this POTD thread where not many will see it. Might make a good post on its own in another section like Machining or shop-made tooling or somewhere. I'll have to try this turning technique myself.

Back