2013 POTD Thread Archive

Well, all assembled and lubed up, just need to make up a plate to hold the toggle switch and wire it up. It's running without the switch no problems. I picked this one up because it had a couple parts to complete my other atlas 42b. $50 cost, and already sold as is now for $150.

Ajax-20130821-00731.jpg

IMG-20130821-00730.jpg Ajax-20130821-00731.jpg

Hey Cody, I see you found my old post. Yep right out of the book don't need the fancy stuff
sam

Yea, I even used it a couple of times. I knew I had found it here, just forgot where.

What book did you find it in?

-Cody

Got some time to make some mounting brackets for the new vise. Grabbed some scrap 1" plate bits and milled them down (which was a bit of a pain as the crap vise I have now likes to lift the work when the jaws close). The new one may not be a big CNC vise, but hell its 5 times heavier than the one Im stuck using so defiantly and improvement.

4-865EEE2D-927259-480.jpg

IMAG0126.jpg

Now I just have to make some T-nuts to fit the table, as the 1/2" set I have a re a bit too big.

IMAG0126.jpg 4-865EEE2D-927259-480.jpg

I decided to rework the table on my old drill. It was made in the early 1900's and saw a lot of abuse. I filled the holes with steel epoxy and started facing. The hole in the center was so messed up I counterbored it and made a plug to fit. It didn't clean up all the way but it is flat now.

100_8460.JPG 100_8461.JPG 100_8466.JPG 100_8470.JPG

Last edited:
I decided to rework the table on my old drill. It was made in the early 1900's and saw a lot of abuse. I filled the holes with steel epoxy and started facing. The hole in the center was so messed up I countered it and made a plug to fit. It didn't clean up all the way but it is flat now.

Nice job. Man that is a big swing on the lathe.

Jeff

I decided to rework the table on my old drill. It was made in the early 1900's and saw a lot of abuse. I filled the holes with steel epoxy and started facing. The hole in the center was so messed up I countered it and made a plug to fit. It didn't clean up all the way but it is flat now.

Piney, What brand of steel epoxy did you use? Does it really harden like steel? Does it bond well? Is it machineable? Is JB Weld a good product?
Thanks, Larry

I put some shavings off the bansaw in the steel epoxy I use it seems to make it better.

Paul

Hi Paul, I've done that trick as well with various types of epoxy and JB Weld

The epoxy I used was some cheap stuff from walmart it worked good in the deep holes , not to great in the shallow ones. I degreased it and ruffed it with sandpaper. I'll have to try some shavings from the bandsaw if I need to do another project. It had been welded and brazed and was warped. I'm happy just to have it flat :phew:

Back