2013 POTD Thread Archive

Well, all assembled and lubed up, just need to make up a plate to hold the toggle switch and wire it up. It's running without the switch no problems. I picked this one up because it had a couple parts to complete my other atlas 42b. $50 cost, and already sold as is now for $150.

View attachment 59296
I see another wood worker/metal worker. I see wood working tools and wood.:thumbsup:

Tom,

that's great, RD's method is what I used as well

Well I made a test bar out of 2" round CRS with about 8" sticking out of the chuck. Undercut the center leaving two 1/2" wide lands on each end. Made a light cut and a couple of successive passes at the same setting. Came up with about .001" difference in size on each land. Raised the front headstock leveling screw a bit and the outer land got bigger. Lowered the same leveling screw and it got bigger yet. Played with it for a couple of hours and ended up with about .0008" to .0009" difference in the land diameters with the outer land still the larger of the two. Not sure why it's doing what it's doing but I'm letting it site for a day while I absorb the data and think it through. Any ideas?

Thanks

Well I made a test bar out of 2" round CRS with about 8" sticking out of the chuck. Undercut the center leaving two 1/2" wide lands on each end. Made a light cut and a couple of successive passes at the same setting. Came up with about .001" difference in size on each land. Raised the front headstock leveling screw a bit and the outer land got bigger. Lowered the same leveling screw and it got bigger yet. Played with it for a couple of hours and ended up with about .0008" to .0009" difference in the land diameters with the outer land still the larger of the two. Not sure why it's doing what it's doing but I'm letting it site for a day while I absorb the data and think it through. Any ideas?

Thanks

sounds like you have the vertical alignment as close as you can be, if the diameter's are different, it would appear that your horizontal alignment (tailstock front to back) may be a tad out, .001" is pretty darn close, maybe max accuracy for the machine....

sounds like you have the vertical alignment as close as you can be, if the diameter's are different, it would appear that your horizontal alignment (tailstock front to back) may be a tad out, .001" is pretty darn close, maybe max accuracy for the machine....

I agree with you that I've probably achieved max accuracy. When leveling I did notice a slight upward bow of the ways. I'm going to use the lathe as-is and check it again in a few weeks. Hopefully the bow will settle out.

Thanks for your comments.

Well, after being in the shop and getting bored, I looked at the pile of steel that was once a HF 3 in 1 bender/sheer/roller and decided it was time to make it work .... but not like it was before (was a piece of crap that wouldn't do anything with sheet metal thicker than tinfoil). So, I am going to make two units out of the bits, a bender and a sheer, both designed to fit in a hydraulic press. This means I need to make my press with an inside gap of 4 feet, so looks like its time to go shopping at the scrap yard for some channel and I beams.

IMAG0133.jpg

The bits are beefy enough to bend 18 gauge and probably stainless, but the mechanism was a joke. This way both "bits" will use downward hydraulic pressure and eliminate the stupid swinging offset arm idea. I miss not having a bender and to a lesser extent a sheer, although I mostly use the plasma cutter now.

IMAG0133.jpg

I combine both. I started this fuselage jig for a modeling friend of mine. A little over 8 hours into it so far.

"Billy G"

102_0082 (650 x 488).jpg 102_0079 (650 x 488).jpg

Put together a small Table.
Wheels off old couch or roll out bed, free.
Enco 24x18 steel table, $75 and free shipping, supposed to hold up to 1500 lbs.
Used a HF Mig 180 for welds.
Tapper was almost impossible to access, on top shelf, storage rack, Now no more moving it.

bottom leg wheelb.JPG welded.JPG small stand.JPG finished table.JPG

Thanks

Tom, forgot to mention, using RD method I double checked my numbers by flipping the test bar around and took measurements again. Turned out to be same, forget but maybe .001 accuracy

on a different topic, BTW, I'm looking at the steel table someone posted 1 or 2 replies back. Table with casters. So these wheels can be raised and lowered?

Back