2013 POTD Thread Archive

I made a bigger brass gun smithing hammer the one I have is a little small.

Paul

Al Handle.JPG Brass Hammer.JPG

for you agro spraying guys...nothing to complicated just two rings to keep the plastic pump head from cracking at the threads..

photo.JPG

photo.JPG

An interesting note on fire pistons that I read when I was researching my own. They were originally used in the south Pacific, where they were made from bamboo. A guy by the name of Diesel saw them when he was on a trip there. That's where he got the idea to use compression heating to fire the fuel in the engine that bears his name.

I finally finished off the coolant control block for the mill, which was a great experience playing with aluminum. I even used the project as an excuse to buy a set of corner rounding end mills and a set of 1/4" parrellel sets (the block is sitting on the parrellel set). Was a pain to get the compression valve installed but after some messing around it went into place.

IMAG0151.jpg

Drilled out some mounting holes in the mill back plate and a hole for the switch wires, then mounted the back block using Permatex red to keep coolant out of the switch cavity.

IMAG0152.jpg

Then mounted the switch block and plate on, with the wiring passing through with some heat shrink over them, and sealed the rear hole around the wires. All I need to do now is make a coolant tray (which is a pain as I dont have a bender and I ran out of Argon for the TIG, so will get my machine buddy to make it for me) and put the pump in it.

IMAG0153.jpg

Now I can use coolant without having to tie up a hand with a squirt bottle, and have a single drop a second to full 3 gal/min flood control. I really like aluminum lol

IMAG0153.jpg IMAG0151.jpg IMAG0152.jpg

Have a GS550L that had a rear sprocket so worn it would barely pull itself so I went to tractor Supply and bought a sprocket 3" smaller than the one I had (all they had) drilled the bolt hole pattern, opened the center dia. the same as the old one and was back on the road this morning. The smaller sprocket suits this bike well as it is a 6 speed and it was geared too low. Love having my machines

Would you send me a pic of the 550L I think thats what I had some years back. A real vintage bike. Appreciate it. Larry Smith

Just finished up a gauge to measure headspace and cone dimensions on a Bat and Panda barrel tenon. One insert is 25° and the other is 30°. I plan on getting a better dial for it. Used a drill press to drill, tap and countersink. Notice dreaded chatter!

IMAG1194.jpg IMAG1195.jpg

Started making the nut for my wheel balancer that I've had since '96 and haven't used because it didn't have a nut to keep the rim on.

Here it is roughed out with the CNC plasma cutter at work. 3/4 plate

Next I'll be rounding the edges, enlarging and threading the center hole.

IMG_20130906_182236.jpg

This is a coulpe of days old and I posted it under New project found today. But someone suggested I put it here also.(Because many people look at this section) I found this arbor press at the scrap yard and got it for scrap price. I am close to finishing the clean up.

130904_0006.jpg130904_0008.jpg130904_0009.jpg

I removed the rust and repainted the frame

003.JPG004.JPG009.JPG

I then cleaned up the beat marks and mushrooming in the mill and lathe.

008.JPG007.JPG006.JPG

I will putmore up as I get it done. like makeing the new handle and the block for the foot (Don't know the proper name for it.)

009.JPG 008.JPG 007.JPG 006.JPG 004.JPG 003.JPG 130904_0009.jpg 130904_0008.jpg 130904_0006.jpg

Back