2013 POTD Thread Archive

Arm,
do you have a metric lead screw If so it will be pretty easy. you just have to follow the change gear charts for the pitch and remeber to reingage the cariage at the right point on the dial. it is good practise to make a light cut on the first pass and check the pitch with a guage. this way if you are off youcan fix it without messing up the part.

And remember if you don't screw up once in a while you aren't doing anything

Good effort Larry
That's our next big hurdle we want to tackle on our Machine.
Never did any so reckon now is the time better than any other
Except ours will be in Metric
regards
aRM

I decided to try threading for the first time today.
3/8-16
7/16-14

View attachment 60328View attachment 60329

After I remembered to use the threading dial, they came out pretty good.
Larry

Looks like it worked. They look pretty cleen too. Now you sould make a 3/8- 14and take it to the hardware store to drive them nuts.:dunno:

Make them in left hand threads! That'll keep them busy for a while!

I actually know a hardware store that stocks left hand nuts.

No It wont drive them, I made a bunch left and right and they are on display at my hardware store, he has some left nuts but no bolts, so he orders them
from me and grabs a buck out of it and everybodys happy.

Made a table for my 4x6 bandsaw. The angles are to allow permanent installation. I perused the files and posts on the 4x6 Yahoo group for inspiration.

The unit was recently gifted to me, now I can save my cutting energy for actually making things.

Gerrit

IMGW1063.jpg

Arm,
do you have a metric lead screw If so it will be pretty easy. you just have to follow the change gear charts for the pitch and remember to reengage the carriage at the right point on the dial. it is good practise to make a light cut on the first pass and check the pitch with a gauge. this way if you are off you can fix it without messing up the part.

And remember if you don't screw up once in a while you aren't doing anything

Hi LARRY
Yup. We have a Metric Leadscrew.
Thanks for the encouragement. Much appreciate the pointers.
BTW did U Thread Your piece between Centres ???
Just curious how the second side was done ???
kindest regards and take care
aRM

ARM, no it was not between centers. I did it all in the 3 jaw, flipped it around. I took 3 or 4 spring cuts to clean it up at the end.
Larry

So I went back to the srcap yard today and on a whim I I took a look around where a found the arbor press and wham there it was the missing foot plate or whatever it is called (does anyone know the proper name for this part) Oh yes I am buying lotto tickets tonight. so here are the last pics on this project.

This is how I found it looking
attachment.php?attachmentid=60353&d=1378747832&thumb=1.jpg

And this is it clead up and rubbed with some oil
attachment.php?attachmentid=60355&d=1378747883&thumb=1.jpg

ARM, no it was not between centers. I did it all in the 3 jaw, flipped it around. I took 3 or 4 spring cuts to clean it up at the end.
Larry
Sorry to be a pain, LARRY
Am just trying to figure out HOW U grabbed the already threaded First side in the chuck, when U did the second side.
Was it in the centre portion of the un-Threaded part ???
Thanks in advance
aRM

- - - Updated - - -

So I went back to the scrap yard today and on a whim I I took a look around where a found the arbor press and wham there it was the missing foot plate or whatever it is called (does anyone know the proper name for this part) Oh yes I am buying lotto tickets tonight. so here are the last pics on this project.

This is how I found it looking
attachment.php?attachmentid=60353&d=1378747832&thumb=1.jpg

And this is it cleaned up and rubbed with some oil
attachment.php?attachmentid=60355&d=1378747883&thumb=1.jpg

Lucky U MARK !!!
We'd say that because Your intention was right, providence leant U a helping hand to achieve Your objective and bring this tool to life from the dumps.
Good for U.
And we like the end result - call it a really good EL SALVAEGO !!!
Just guessing if the Foot is not called an ANVIL ???
Others more learned would know.
aRM

ARM, no problem at all!
Thats correct, grabbed it by the center area. That is one of the reasons for two different diameters. The second side was the larger diameter and the the smaller side cleared the jaws.
Larry

I've got a Brown & Sharpe Dividing head I need to make a chuck backing plate for Been needing to do for about 4 years, Where does the time go to many projects and not enough time.

Any way I made a I made a 2 1/4 X 4 1/2 tpi stub today so I can use it to check the back plate when I make it.

I just need to find a good chuck for it. Pictures are of the dividing head spindle threads and the thread protector.

The threaded stub and the thread protector on it.

Paul

Dividing Head.JPG Thread Protecter 1.JPG Threaded stub.JPG Thread Potecter 2.JPG

Back