2013 POTD Thread Archive

Today I made these three adjuster nuts for my Aloris tool holders. I only needed 2 but figured, while I'm at it, may as well make an extra. The photo shows an original at the top and the 3 that I made. Mine are better! The threads are nice and snug and I made them about .075" thicker so that they won't rock on the stud.
20131103_153148_zpsa7958ab6.jpg

20131103_153148_zpsa7958ab6.jpg

Got the turret done (Not really) to the point where I can see what I need to do to get dead nuts accuracy. I'm gonna drill & tap each post and put a 1/4-28 bolt in them for fine adjustment, I also need to make one for the 0 position so basically I'll have 0-1", 1"-2" and 2"-3". I'll also have to make some adjustments for some clearance issues where the long post hits the indicator (not a biggie) I need to make a new bracket with the right angle milled on the bottom leg so it sits straight (the carriage casting is at an angle) Just a few bumps but overall I'm happy with the way it's turning out.

Turret (1).JPG Turret (2).JPG

My dad had the handle come off one of the fuel selector valves for his plane and he "misplaced" it before he could put it back on.
So I made him one today using the dimensions he gave me from the other one.
I love turning brass.

Turned down to outside dia.

DSC_0093.jpg

After turning a taper on one end I drilled the shaft hole using my PTD numbered drill set since it had the right size needed.
I love turning brass.

DSC_0098.jpg

Cut it to final length and crowned the big end and gave it to him.

DSC_0103.jpg
DSC_0104.jpg
DSC_0105.jpg

BTW, did I mention that I love turning brass? :lmao:

DSC_0093.jpg

DSC_0098.jpg

DSC_0103.jpg

DSC_0104.jpg

DSC_0105.jpg

Picked up a benchtop milling machine and got it installed and mostly cleaned up. Next is to set it up.

IMG_00000218.jpg

[video=youtube;wjm85y6mVjQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjm85y6mVjQ&feature=c4-overview&list=UUL9jxaVoguCp5RiUCFDZL9Q[/video]

IMG_00000218.jpg

Looking good there, Steve.
Now you can really be a Busy Bee. :LOL:

Picked up a benchtop milling machine and got it installed and mostly cleaned up. Next is to set it up.

]

That is one sweet looking little rig. Side to side tilt AND fore and aft, PLUS the table swivels. VERY nice !!!!

Replacement piece for the cross slide on a Smart & Brown 1024 lathe (a damaged machine at auction can be lost dollars - but it probably brought the price down). I had not used the rotary table before (and that is another auction story), so was a good project for playing with that.

View attachment 63796

In fairness, it was more like "Project of the month"

Nice part and great rotary table.

Jeff

Another muzzle brake. Actally fixing a for profit "gunsmith" hack. The rifle is a factory M70 on 300 WSM. The smith that did it either turned the major diameter wrong or made way too many passes on the threads. The brake actually started threading on like three threads on! Soo slopy, im surprised it tightened up and did not blow off on the first shot!

Anyhow, cut the old tenon off and started over. Made a nice taper from the shoulder out and finished to a glossy blue. Not exact match, but better than the black spray paint the "gunsmith" used!

IMAG1363.jpg IMAG1364.jpg IMAG1366.jpg IMAG1371.jpg

Reactions: DHJ
Another muzzle brake. Actally fixing a for profit "gunsmith" hack. The rifle is a factory M70 on 300 WSM. The smith that did it either turned the major diameter wrong or made way too many passes on the threads. The brake actually started threading on like three threads on! Soo slopy, im surprised it tightened up and did not blow off on the first shot!

Anyhow, cut the old tenon off and started over. Made a nice taper from the shoulder out and finished to a glossy blue. Not exact match, but better than the black spray paint the "gunsmith" used!
Nice job and nice spider.

Back