2013 POTD Thread Archive

Back in the days of young and foolish I would have done that, but now I spend the same money but buy tools.... :nuts:

But thats more fun anyway!

Much better to spend the money on tools and have something to show for it, hands down!

Nothing you all have not seen before, but after crashing the mill a few days ago and stripping the gears, I purchased the belt drive from LMS. I installed it today and what a difference. Quieter, smoother, and makes using this mill more enjoyable. In my opinion it is a must do even if you have not ruined the gear drive.

mill.JPG

I dismantled an old HP scanner and an old fax machine,
The purpose was to recover the very well ground rods used
as slide guides for the heads in these machines.It is a very
cheap,practically free source of calibrated rods.
I have used them in some projects, especially an instrument
for verifying plane surfaces even granite plates. This I call
"epipedometro" (Greek epipedo=plane) When finished I will
post some pictures.

Ariscats

Edit: Metron is greek anyway.

Last edited:
Could I bother you for a details of this build you have any drawings or technical spec on the tool?
Thanks in advance
Paul

Based on the info I got from one of the Yahoo groups I belong to, I made my own homemade "Clamptite" tool.
View attachment 63598

I had never heard of these before this week; they allow you to make your own hose clamps out of any solid wire.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zb1U6aaTozI

I also included in the photo above, a sample clamp that I made(around one of the duds from my shotgun snap-cap making last week)

Was cleaning up shop yesterday and found something incredibly stupid on my part.....the story:

A few years ago I snagged a be-ute Walker Turner 20" DP,production table,powerfeed model...think it's a '51.Didn't have a motor,so found a nice big 1hp TEFC in our inventory.Made necessary plate to mount up with exist W/T plate...yada,yada.

Been using this DP right much in cabinet shop with a 8" Heinrich quick-vise.But it has this completely hokey switch from an old C-man junker tablesaw....but hey it worked and was making us money.

In cleaning shop yesterday,I had a dz motors to coral,and find a decent space/home for.There's a box with a bunch of control "stuff" in it.......one item was a really nice AB switch,enclosed....even has the fast stop button.It's been here for so long I forgot about it?Even has the right,rubber coated conduit already stuck in it.

So,the W/T,"big 20" is getting a nice switch today.

Started on a brake job for a friend yesterday.
Going to finish today.
Bad shoe on one side, 1 frozen piston on the wheel cylinder on the other side, no wonder it was pulling hard on hard braking.
So everything is new including wheel bearings and seals, should be smooth now.
I forgot how much fun VW brakes can be. :lmao:

DSC_0126.jpg

DSC_0123.jpg

DSC_0130.jpg

DSC_0129.jpg

DSC_0126.jpg

DSC_0123.jpg

DSC_0130.jpg

DSC_0129.jpg

Was cleaning up shop yesterday and found something incredibly stupid on my part.....the story:

A few years ago I snagged a be-ute Walker Turner 20" DP,production table,powerfeed model...think it's a '51.Didn't have a motor,so found a nice big 1hp TEFC in our inventory.Made necessary plate to mount up with exist W/T plate...yada,yada.

Been using this DP right much in cabinet shop with a 8" Heinrich quick-vise.But it has this completely hokey switch from an old C-man junker tablesaw....but hey it worked and was making us money.

In cleaning shop yesterday,I had a dz motors to coral,and find a decent space/home for.There's a box with a bunch of control "stuff" in it.......one item was a really nice AB switch,enclosed....even has the fast stop button.It's been here for so long I forgot about it?Even has the right,rubber coated conduit already stuck in it.

So,the W/T,"big 20" is getting a nice switch today.

So I was reading the OP and thinking WTH? Then IFDOM what you were talking about and I lmao. IMHO all posts should be written this way so HLS, FBI, CIA, DEA, ATF, can't get our IP and read our E mails or PM's and then we make the news on ABC, CBS, NBC or the AP.

Yours truely, CD
PS. HAND

Last edited:
I made a jig that fits on my bandsaw to hold stock so I can rough cut V-blocks. Once rough cutted I can then clean them up on the mill. I will be able to use it for other projects as well. Probably an easier way, but this is what I came up with.

vjig.JPG vsaw.JPG

Back