2014 POTD Thread Archive

Wife wanted a Christmas tree. She went to a thing (don't know what you call it where people sell their crafts) and brought home a picture of the tree she wanted. I found one on the internet that was the same as the picture. I then did some touch up in Inkscape along with making two pieces so it formed a 3d tree. Then the kids and I went out to the shop and cut it out on my shop built water plasma table. It is right off the table. I need to grind the slag off the edges and she can leave it natural or paint it.

SAM_0576.JPG

Sorry don't know how to turn photo. It is upright on my pc.

SAM_0576.JPG

I suppose it's time I post some of what I do. I usually forget to take pictures and just send it all down the road. But this was part of a special project for a friend who acquired Hodgkin's Lymphoma after working under the Trade Center following 9/11.

First up is the TP Grinder extension I made for getting my chuck trued up. Not a simple project. Lot's a turning between centers, etc.
DSCN2592.jpg
Here's part of my friend's project. Simpler but prettier. It's a spring preloaded plate tuning mechanism for a VHF Amateur Radio Power Amplifier. All made of various bronze alloys rescued from marine use. The plates are some sort of cast red bronze (hence the included pits) which I cut from 2.25" left hand acme threaded rod about 6 feet long. I have no idea what sort of machine they came out of. Plates are slightly convex to prevent high voltages from arcing at the edges.
DSCN2605.jpgDSCN2609.jpg

I hope I uploaded these OK.

MS

DSCN2592.jpg DSCN2605.jpg DSCN2609.jpg

Picked up a 3A 5/8 capacity Jacobs chuck on the cheap. They had a Morse 1 arbor in it so we had to do a little work to get that out and after I tested it found the jaws bell mouthed. I found a rebuild kit for cheapo on fleabay and grabbed it and replaced the jaws. Knocked the run out down to 1/4 of what it was and now I have a serviceable 5/8 chuck for those jobs with larger holes.

Replacing the arbor https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWY8XzeG17A&list=UUG0Oeg2KLMmgFzcsoCUYdeQ

Replacing the Jaws https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLYWZXfMIYM&list=UUG0Oeg2KLMmgFzcsoCUYdeQ

I just finished a lathe class where I learned how to single point thread. This took a few hours and was good practice.

thread puzzle together.jpgthread puzzle apart.jpg

thread puzzle together.jpg thread puzzle apart.jpg

Funny to see a captive nut puzzle as I just made a pair of these for my sons as Christmas presents. I though it would be nice if I had some skin in the game instead of just going to the store & buying something.

CAPTIVE NUT PUZZLE 2.JPG

Funny to see a captive nut puzzle as I just made a pair of these for my sons as Christmas presents. I though it would be nice if I had some skin in the game instead of just going to the store & buying something.

Funny, I was thinking of make a couple more for gifts too.

Did you make yours so they easily come apart? Mine ended up with a sliver of a thread at the end when apart and I figured it would be too easy to damage or maybe get cut on so I put it together tight enough it won't come apart by hand.....this of course sort of ruins the puzzle aspect.

Did you make yours so they easily come apart? Mine ended up with a sliver of a thread at the end when apart and I figured it would be too easy to damage or maybe get cut on so I put it together tight enough it won't come apart by hand.....this of course sort of ruins the puzzle aspect.

When I made mine, I actually Loctited the two halves together so they would not come apart. The nut just runs up and down the threaded portion. Turns it into more of a "mind teaser" than an actual puzzle.

When I made mine, I actually Loctited the two halves together so they would not come apart. The nut just runs up and down the threaded portion. Turns it into more of a "mind teaser" than an actual puzzle.

exactly what i did as well.

Mine are assembled permanently. The threaded internal connector goes an inch into each piece and is treated with red locktite.

Picked up a 3A 5/8 capacity Jacobs chuck on the cheap. They had a Morse 1 arbor in it so we had to do a little work to get that out and after I tested it found the jaws bell mouthed. I found a rebuild kit for cheapo on fleabay and grabbed it and replaced the jaws. Knocked the run out down to 1/4 of what it was and now I have a serviceable 5/8 chuck for those jobs with larger holes.

Replacing the arbor https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWY8XzeG17A&list=UUG0Oeg2KLMmgFzcsoCUYdeQ

Replacing the Jaws https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLYWZXfMIYM&list=UUG0Oeg2KLMmgFzcsoCUYdeQ

I watched those vids a few days ago .. I'am almost caught up with yours an Mrpete's Keep um comin.

Back