2014 POTD Thread Archive

My project yesterday was cutting two 45 degree angle notches in some one inch steel. I laid them out with a protractor, but I always like to double check my layouts. So I was wondering to myself if I had something handy to measure the intersection of the two 45 degree angles.....

Untitled-1 copy.jpg

Charles

Untitled-1 copy.jpg

OK, it was PAST TIME!, therefore no before pic 'cause I'd be embarrassed. It was a pig. All these restorations and then Mike (zmotorsports) setting up his new, freshly minted fine piece of machinery and posting progress pics (which we all love) gave me the impetus to get off my duff and pick up a scrub brush. It took me almost a whole day (parsed into three) to get it here. It still doesn't look like it did when I got it but it's as close as it's gonna get with me at the wheel.

As it sits after today's toiling:

DSCN0501_zpse2ebffc6.jpg

DSCN0500_zps44e4e314.jpg

DSCN0499_zps09a4163e.jpg

I don't have a coolant system to contend with so here's how I clean my chip tray:

DSCN0502_zps380685a7.jpg

It won't look like this long, but I will endeavor to stay on top of it.

Lathe looks great Dale. Looks almost like new.

Personally, I can't wait for mine to get that "patina" look. My previous lathe was just getting the look I like and then I sold it and upgraded.

Mike.

Lathe looks great Dale. Looks almost like new.

Personally, I can't wait for mine to get that "patina" look. My previous lathe was just getting the look I like and then I sold it and upgraded.

Mike.

Ya don't know how much that means Mike. Patina, YEAH, THAT'S IT! Got in spades, eh? ;^)

So I made a little lathe tool height gauge based on the Hardinge design. It's made from brass because there is a magnet recessed into the bottom to make it stay put. The threads are 40 TPI and make for a very fine adjustment. It has about 1" adjustable travel. I also made a nifty box to keep it in. You can see the build here

Great job on the height gauge Greg. I really like it.

This project was a three month build, but I just finished it up in the last couple days. It is a 4 facet drill bit sharpener based on a deign by John Moran (aka ... gadgetbuilder). I works great on any drill from 1/32" to 1/2". It was a challenging build, but worth the effort. Sharpens drills with facets instead of a conical grind and they work much better.

Mark

drill sharpener 2.jpgdrill sharpener 3.jpgdrill sharpener 4.jpgdrill sharpener stop post 2.jpgdrill sharpener stop post.jpgdrill sharpener.jpgdrill sharpener3.jpg

drill sharpener 2.jpg drill sharpener 3.jpg drill sharpener 4.jpg drill sharpener stop post 2.jpg drill sharpener stop post.jpg drill sharpener.jpg drill sharpener3.jpg

This project was a three month build, but I just finished it up in the last couple days. It is a 4 facet drill bit sharpener based on a deign by John Moran (aka ... gadgetbuilder). I works great on any drill from 1/32" to 1/2". It was a challenging build, but worth the effort. Sharpens drills with facets instead of a conical grind and they work much better.

Mark

Beautiful.

Could you direct me to the plans? Probably well beyond my skill level but I can dream.

Back