2014 POTD Thread Archive

great start Ryan, though it may be worth a thread of its own, particularly to make it easier for others to find.

I've been cracking on trying to get stuff done before the start of the semester next week, so I've managed to fix a 1/2in Jacobs chuck and make tailstock arbor for it (forgot to take pic), screwed up and haven't yet fixed the Jacobs chuck on my DP (too embarrassed to post a pic) and ground a trepanning tool to cut out a hole from an alu blank which will be another clamp for my bike.

I needed a 40mm bore, so drilling up to 1/2in then boring the rest of the way would have taken ages, so I ground a trepanning tool and spent ages using that instead :)

IMG_3548.JPG

now that I know it cuts like a grooving/ parting tool, I'll grind it a little thinner and cut a chip breaker so that both tips (not just the left one) cut, which should make it less painful to use. Pretty impressed that it worked at all to be honest. Bore is now 35mm, which was the biggest I could get without hitting the jaws behind the work.

IMG_3548.JPG

What I did In My Shop Today. Well What I Started

Just another simple item I worked on.

I was looking at Machinist Magazines on E-Bay and noticed a magazine with an article on making a 3C collet block. I had just acquired some 3C collets (I think) so I looked through my magazines and found the very magazine article and decided to begin the a project since it was within my means.
SANY0001.JPG

I had the material it required and the time.

SANY0009.JPG

I cut it long and prepared the base end and block as one piece.

SANY0012.JPG

Bored them undersize to allow for threading the lower piece and parting off when I'm done.

That's as far as I got this evening. I'll continue tomorrow.

Oh yes I also noticed a ball oiler behind the carriage handwheel that was unreachable. I didn't want to have to remove the handwheel every time I wanted to oil it (daily) so I remove it and milled a port through it for oiling.

SANY0015.JPG

SANY0001.JPG SANY0009.JPG SANY0012.JPG SANY0015.JPG

step one complete. the picture seems to throw the perspective kinda weird, but the part i hogged out is 4.505" long, 3" wide and 1.600" deep. i didn't realize how long that would take, but i got it done after a few intermittent hours of standing in front of the mill.

10560554_909021815793083_8638557436853648487_o.jpg

10560554_909021815793083_8638557436853648487_o.jpg

Decided I needed a couple of machinist jacks that were shorter than my current pair (which adjust from about 2" to 4")... So I made a couple of short ones that go from about 1.25" to 2.25"...

696914B3-88F9-4F62-9F06-03995A5DB3FB_zpsvtwic0jp.jpg

Simple, but useful...

696914B3-88F9-4F62-9F06-03995A5DB3FB_zpsvtwic0jp.jpg

Decided I needed a couple of machinist jacks that were shorter than my current pair (which adjust from about 2" to 4")... So I made a couple of short ones that go from about 1.25" to 2.25"...

View attachment 82638

Simple, but useful...

Nice. That is funny, that is exactly what I did this evening. I started making a couple of different height screw jacks with knurled adjusters.

Mike.

South Bend handwheel spinning knob

My first project posted here! This is a replacement for the ugly one the lathe came with. You can see it in the picture along with the replacement which is already installed. Knob is out of 1" cold rolled and pin is a repurposed bolt. Ski

10 South bend apron knob.jpg !0 South Bend handwheel knob 001.JPG

Re: South Bend handwheel spinning knob

My first project posted here! This is a replacement for the ugly one the lathe came with. You can see it in the picture along with the replacement which is already installed. Knob is out of 1" cold rolled and pin is a repurposed bolt. Ski

Very nice handles. Thanks for sharing with us.

Mike.

Fly Cutter with Adjustable Angle Tool Bit

The concept is not mine, saw it I think on the net some time ago, tried to buy one on eBay and it went for a goofy price. Don’t think anyone is factory making them? So, I finally got around to making one myself. I need the adjustable tool angle feature for some dovetail work I have been also thinking about. Maybe it should be noted that because of the way it’s designed all of the tool cutting pressure is placed on the fastener. So, if you make one of these, I would choose carefully, you don’t need it flying apart on yah. I just made the head part. The R8 shank I had and screws (CW) onto the head…Good Luck.boringbar.JPG

boringbar.JPG

Ski
What method did you use to cut the shallow inside radius(marked with I.R. on your drawing)?

Re: South Bend handwheel spinning knob

Very nice handles. Thanks for sharing with us.

Mike.
Should have noted the drawing is South Bends,not mine.

- - - Updated - - -

Ski
What method did you use to cut the shallow inside radius(marked with I.R. on your drawing)?
Well i cut some using the hand wheels and filed the rest and then emery paper finish. I used the compound by hand mostly after cutting the 2 diameters. Did the same thing on my 13" resto I am doing on a South Bend. Pics are in South Bend forum.

Back