2014 POTD Thread Archive

Spent some time with the new (to me) lathe getting to know it. I machined these two items, nothing big or complicated, just a couple of knurled brass knobs. One for the 'lock' on the gear cover the other for the carriage lock. I press fit a socket head cap screw into the knobs. This way I don't have to look for my allen wrench every time I want to lock/unlock them but can use the allen wrench if I need to for some reason. The knurling on the first was not what it should be but the knurl on the second worked better.

I like your idea of pressing the socket head cap screw into the knobs, some days having the option to use an allen wrench would really help when the arthritis flares up.

I like your idea of pressing the socket head cap screw into the knobs, some days having the option to use an allen wrench would really help when the arthritis flares up.

Yea there is that. I feel it here when the rains come. Seems like they're always coming.

Made a handle for the handwheel on the compound on my Logan:

handle.jpg

I measured one of the other handles and scaled it down for this wheel. I then turned a polygonal approximation and finished it freehand on the lathe with files and sandpaper. I polished up the wheel to match, but I don't have the patience to get it mirror-smooth.

It's nice to have a real lathe with modern features like calibrated dials.

handle.jpg

• Made a handle for the handwheel on the compound on my Logan:

I measured one of the other handles and scaled it down for this wheel. I then turned a polygonal approximation and finished it freehand on the lathe with files and sandpaper. I polished up the wheel to match, but I don't have the patience to get it mirror-smooth.

Nice work, John. I have just been printing the handwheel and ball handle specs from the American Machinist
Handbook to use to make a pattern from. I need to make a handle for a topslide.

Chuck

Made a handle for the handwheel on the compound on my Logan:

View attachment 82729

Very nice John.

Mike.

Made some extrusion dies for cable

I made a couple of extrusion dies for 1" cable, to add the isolating plastic cover. In over 20+ years of machining, this was the first time I made them with an optical polished finish, so it was quite a challenge, specially on that H13 hardened steel. I had to control the lathe speed to avoid vibration.

image.jpg

Re: Made some extrusion dies for cable

I made a couple of extrusion dies for 1" cable, to add the isolating plastic cover. In over 20+ years of machining, this was the first time I made them with an optical polished finish, so it was quite a challenge, specially on that H13 hardened steel. I had to control the lathe speed to avoid vibration.

Very nice finish.

Mike.

not quite machining, but I did make these in my workshop with my daughter yesterday

IMG_3549.JPG

fairy cups to hold apple juice for the fairies at the bottom of the garden. They were also given some candy plus some cotton wool for their beds

IMG_3550.JPGIMG_3551.JPG

2 very excited girls

IMG_3553.JPG

They went to check them first thing this morning and found that most of the candy had been eaten :))) and some of the juice drunk!

IMG_3549.JPG IMG_3549.JPG IMG_3550.JPG IMG_3551.JPG IMG_3553.JPG

Made some new hanging brackets for my 2 y/o nephews crib that his jumping keeps breaking. The bottom one was made by my sisters friend out of sheet metal and lasted only a short time made mine out of 1/8th steel so it wont break... I hope

CAM00056.jpg

Back