2015 POTD Thread Archive

I take it you are going to start a business making tool holders for the QCTP's John.

It's amazing what you can do when you have the tools ( & put the holes in the right places :p ) , they look good very very good indeed.

Thanks David for the compliment. I'm not sure if I'll ever need to make another holder unless it's a specialized one. I think I have approx. 2 dozen now. As for making them for other people, they'd be better off financially buying $20 imports. I have several and after changing all the butter soft set screws, wobbly knurled height adjusting nut and the sloppy locking nut, and filing and honing the dovetail to open it up, they actually perform as they should.

john that is a good shine. WIsh min was like that but all I have is an old fly cutter and I keep working on it but have never got anything that I could polish up that nice. Good Job,

Where did you guys buy that face mill?
Looking and finding prices from $300 to 500.

I started playing around with my T&C grinder today. Ground a few lathe tool bits. It works great and makes a nicer tool than by hand.IMAG0023.jpg
I am just getting into using the grinder I built earlier this year. I will be making needed fixtures as I go.

Mike you are not alone, I would love to find one that would make that nice of face on things.

john that is a good shine. WIsh min was like that but all I have is an old fly cutter and I keep working on it but have never got anything that I could polish up that nice.

Ken, have you seen the YouTube video from Suburban Tools on their fly cutter? It uses a carbide insert and comes in various sizes. I plan on making one of these in the near future. It looks like an easy design to copy. The main body and arm have lots of mass to dampen vibration and provide some flywheel effect. There are other versions if you do a Google image search on large fly cutters. Just make one to your size preference but keep the mass effect there.

Back