2015 POTD Thread Archive

I finally installed the things I made for my client yesterday. It is an adjustable head stabilizer for the chair on a rotating photo rig I made last year. It makes sure the subjects head can be stabilized in the same place for studies that extend for weeks to months. The comparative photos have to be exactly the same at each stage of the studies. The rig utilizes a table clamp camera mount. Various parts had to be machined to attach the head rests to the camera elevating pole.

Shown also is a calibration arm for centering the chair and the camera and light rig which rotates 180º around the subject. Their head has to be in the right place for everything to frame correctly.
Near the bottom of the mount I attached a small laser to aid in indexing the chair alignment.

headrest_0698.JPG calibration tool_0700.JPG

Some details of the fabrication parts required for the post. It all bolted together with a 3/8" x 40" all thread.

headrest pole_0430.JPG

An arm holding a color chip to assure consistent exposure that has to be visable under the subject's chin in every shot.

chip arm_0703.JPG

Detail of the height and rotation bracket for the color chip arm. The client has already scratched some of the paint.

chip adjuster_0705.JPG

Details of the height adjuster assembly.

IMG_0676.JPG

IMG_0682.JPG

Last edited:
Looks like some kind of a medieval torture device ;) Nice work!

Did some welding for a customer machine shop, it's a bushing knife blade holder thinga ma jiggy. I've showed the finished product before, there is a lot more machine work left after the welding that the other shop does. But I thought I'd show a pic of my latest "crisp" SS weld
20151001_193500.jpg

I hooked up the X axis powerfeed on my mill, Darn thing came without the motor coupling, So I turned one out of aluminum, simple job, Just got to drill and tap a couple of set screws but got to tired, started seeing double, so I'll finish it tomorrow.

Made some handles to replace the sloppy plastic ones on my mini mill.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443773740.277615.jpg

Also got my power feed dialed in to run great. All that is left is to build a housing around it.

Engaged
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443773873.429157.jpg

Disengaged
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443773918.951834.jpg

I have less than $20 invested in the power feed. $10 for the speed control and $9 for a DPDT switch.

David, I hope you have a speedy recovery. All the learning and doing in the shop will help a lot. I see that you are in England. You must watch Doubleboost's - John's youtube videos - he's your neighbour! He made an SUD which I also copied. Instead of the SUD you have to get yourself a dial indicator to see how far out a bar is. It will also be used for tailstock adjustment. In case you haven't seen them, you can learn a lot by watching Keith Fenner, Abomb79 (Adam Booth), Oxtools (Tom Lipton), Mrpete222, and Tom's Techniques to name a few of the best. Each of them have 200 to 300 videos on YouTube. Cheers!

Those guys have been part of the renewal as well as bringing in quite a few new ideas & concepts.
My SUD was from a Tube video by Tubal Cain . It seems to be much quicker & accurate to set things up that are almost round compared to my $45 USD magnetic base clamp DTI.

With all that has been going on in my life lately, I decided it's time I had some comfort food. A little early in the fall for it, but I don't care.
It's Gumbo Time, folks.

Started this afternoon by making the roux. I would have prefered to use bacon grease, but I'm sure my doctor would beat me with a brick if I did, so I used butter and a touch of olive oil as the base (that's better, right?). One and a half sticks of butter, 3/4 cup of oil. One and a quarter cups of white flour, one and a quarter cups of wheat flour. Added a splash of olive oil to get the consistency correct after maybe 10-15 minutes of stirring. It bubbles and foams, but then settles down to a soupy liquid that sits on medium-high heat, and needs constant stirring. And I mean constant. You burn the roux, throw it out, start over. It's a seriously substantial part of Gumbo, and if the roux is no good, the Gumbo will be no good. It takes maybe an hour. How many of you have babied a repeated cut for an hour to get a part just-so? Yeah. I thought so. This ain't a production kitchen, it's one of my hobbies, and I love it.

About 5 minutes after starting out.... Foamy, frothy, and you just sit there stirring.......

20151003_150742.jpg

So you sit there and stir, on medium high heat. And stir. And stir. Constantly. You let this stuff sit idle more than a moment and it'll burn, and be useless. It takes constant attention. But it's *soooo* worth it.

You sit and stir until it's the color of a dark chocolate bar...... It'll smoke, it'll smell like it's burning, but keep stirring. Don't splash it on yourself, because this stuff is like Napalm. But do keep stirring, and just wait for it.

20151003_154024.jpg

Oooooh, yeah. That's the stuff. Color of dark chocolate. Smells like burn popcorn. Kill the heat, move it to another burner, and grab a Pyrex bowl. Dump it in, scrape it out, and then put the pan in the sink and fill it with water and soap. let it set, because that stuff is not that easy to scrape out. The Roux will continue to cook in the bowl for a little bit, but that's fine. It'll be okay. After it sits awhile, it'll separate into oil-on-top and 'severely baked flour sludge', but that's fine too. Give it a hearty stir (without slopping it all over), and it's all set to add to gumbo, soup, etc. Anything that could use a little dark brown color and dark, nutty flavor will love this stuff.

20151003_154407.jpg

Now to add a lid, and stow it in the fridge until tomorrow, when the rest of the Gumbo will be done.

Today, the Kitchen is my shop. And seeing as to how I'll be divorced soon, and having to feed myself, comfort food like this is pretty high up on my ' I Gotta Do This' list. Apparently I make a good chicken parm too.

So, tomorrow, you'll get to see the Cutting Of The Trinity (onions, celery, and peppers), the Browning Of The Chicken, then the Simmering Of The Gumbo, and finally, Gumbo On Rice, Ready To Be Devoured.

I make a 16qt stock pot absolutely full of this stuff, and it freezes beautifully. With a rice cooker and a big bag 'o Jasmine rice, it takes about 25 min or so to prepare dinner. Pop the frozen gumbo into a small pot, get the rice going, and when it's all done, dump the rice then gumbo into a bowl and simply add a fork. Odds are, you won't even have to rinse the dishes. I never have to.

I did some arc stick welding on a very variable end of branch line mains power line , doing it on some 60 yr old lead painted steel 3/16 2 wall tubse to try and fuse it to a modern 6 mm thick mild steel angle iron on a well rusted , " Cattle crush " crate for a farmer.
The only trouble is I had to bend the electrodes in to curves to get the arc rods down & inside the holes to a welding angle .

Result it holds well & I definitely have lived up to my site name on another metal working/ engineering site which of " PIDGEON CHITT WELDER

Back