2015 POTD Thread Archive

that's the only thing I don't like about them cutters, is the chips, don't matter if you peck or not, just a quick jab into alu and its an instant birdsnest flinging sharp metal across the shop

Dan, beautiful work on both your projects. The modified Noga-Indicol combination will be my next project this morning.

On a different topic, I made some chips last night cutting down some 1" tool holders to fit my qctp holders. The Mitsubishi face mill spun at 250 rpm taking a .125 cut at approx. 4 ipm. This thing cuts like butter and its capabilities continue to amaze me. Still using original inserts! Thanks again Chevydyl.

20151025_185423.jpg

Your very welcome bud.
Another praise goes to the face mill, while new at this cnc I accidentally programmed a g0 move instead of a g01 in,the mdi, basically it rapid cut at 35ipm through an alloy steel at 30 thou deep, 500rpm it went baaaagh right through it. I was like hoooooooly $hit....... that was amazing hahaha, them cermet inserts didn't even know it, I too am on my first edge of the new inserts I bought for it, I probably need to tram now

You guys are all experts. Here's a beginner project I did for my failed T bolt holding the quickchange to compound on my 9a SB lathe. When I first got the lathe I didn't have a mill so a friend did one for me. Yesterday the weld failed so I designed a completely new T bolt (as his T bolt was shoddy, not that mine is perfect). So now that I have a small homebuilt mill I was able to make my own, milling the slots and welding the underside of the bolt to the allthread and it's a charm and life is good again. (the photos only show the new one I made, not the old)

20151026_111923_resized.jpg 20151026_112350_resized.jpg 20151026_132325_resized.jpg

Made my wife a SS antenna to replace the stock antenna on her new Jeep, which she hated. The antenna is made from 304 SS and scored with 180 grit paper, she didnt want it polished or too shiny. I didnt do too good of a job blending the taper to the shank, but she likes it.

The Jeep is a 2016 with a 2.5" body lift on 18" Rockstar rims, 35" tires/12.5" wide. Full Alpine stereo and speakers, leather seats. Shes been wanting one for a long time, so I figured it was time to get what she wanted.3image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:
Nice Jeep! hows the reception with the new antenna?

Back