2015 POTD Thread Archive

Matt, How did you get the even angle on the boring bar cutter tip ?
I tried making my boring bar up for internal threading but by free hand with a small angle grinder and a template , annoyingly it always came out lob sided .

Hi David,

just trial and error and one of those fish tail gauges. I made a 1/2 thick tiltable rest for my bench grinder a while back which has been a boon grinding tools. I set the lead angle at 7deg or so and the reverse angle at 5deg, then just kept touching up until the sides were more or less equal and matched the gauge. Then some stoning and it was done. Same but opposite angles for the outside threading bit, but that one was 1/4in stellite which was a bear to grind - seriously hard stuff! HTH :)

I paint my bits with dykem then scribe the lines at the correct angles, well I used to, now I use my SG and tool bit grinding fiture

I needed to cut 22" lengths of 1/2" aluminum round stock along the axis to give me half rounds for a project. After several failed attempts with a table saw, band saw, and horizontal mill, I decided to make a more permanent jig than just a make shift fence clamped to the table.
I drilled and reamed a 1/2" in a 1"x1-1/2" aluminum bar, I clamped the bar perpendicular to the blade on the band saw table and fed the round stock threw the hole in the jig and it worked like a charm. I had 5 lengths to cut and it took about a half hour including making the jig.001.JPG 002.JPG 004.JPG 005.JPG

I clamped the bar perpendicular to the blade on the band saw table and fed the round stock threw the hole in the jig and it worked like a charm. I had 5 lengths to cut and it took about a half hour including making the jig.

Smart!
Did it have no tendency to "roll" during cutting? (ie. it's not a twisted half-round?)
I may have to use that........

Thanks,
-brino

I've always plugged my front porch Christmas lights into my front porch light. Just unscrew the bulb and use an adapter.
For the last few years I have a motion sensing porch light so my Christmas lights were only on when something moved around the porch.

For the last few years, I've intended to put a power outlet hooked to the porch light circuit. I finally got around to it today. While I was at it, I added a photo electric sensor and wired it to one of the two outlets. It screwed into the top threaded hole in the box.

Now, my Christmas lights come on at dusk, and the porch light becomes motion sensitive at dusk (it has its own sensor).

I also upgraded my Christmas lights to LEDs.

IMG_0807.JPG

I finally got my winch mount finished and painted. The bottom plate(just under the winch) is 3/8" thick and the 1" tube frame is meant both as a kinda roll-cage and handles.

The winch is bolted in, the roller fairlead is on, I installed another relay near the battery(first one is for snow-plow), and added some heavy gauge wiring. All that's left is the connectors that make the winch "pluggable".

I am _almost_ ready for winter......in a normal year we would have a couple snow falls by now. I just need it to hold off another day or so!

(and yes I know that a trailer hitch is rated less than the winch....I just don't know how much longer my '99 truck is going to last and I didn't want to make a permanent custom mount until I get a newer truck, also I wanted the winch pluggable onto either end of this truck.)

-brino
winch1.jpg

winch2.jpg

I finally finished up my magnetic base task light prototype. All I need to do before I knock out a few of these for the shop, is make a small design tweak, and remember to switch the order of operations around a little bit.
full.jpg closeUp.jpg

Back