2015 POTD Thread Archive

Nice clean work Franko

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love the forge.
Any details posted on it? Ski
Have a look at the following posts:
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/thre...in-your-shop-today.14637/page-146#post-272982
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/thre...in-your-shop-today.14637/page-158#post-286120
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/thre...in-your-shop-today.14637/page-163#post-289651

I there is interest I will do a separate post with more details and pictures of the build from beginning to end. Seems a lot of machinist have an interest in forging and casting too.

FINALLY got the mill, it took about 30days from date of purchase for it to arrive so i could go pick it up. getting it into the garage was sketchy as hell, but i got it. got the forklift stuck while trying to remove it from the pallet, new plan lol. all in all it went well and i wasted no time getting it setup. first thing i made for it was a quill feed handle.
4140 TGP was used as it was on the shelf and had already been surface ground and an angle relief turned on one side, the lever is plain ol HR, tig welded. works fine.
mill1.jpg
quillfeed2.jpg
quillfeed3.jpg
quillfeed1.jpg
quillfeed.jpg

Thanks, sgister.

I ran the gizmo up my client's flag pole and they saluted it. So all is good and the world is spinning on greased gears.

They ordered two of them, but I made three for a safety factor, in case I screwed up a process. They asked if they could have the third one. I told them that if they want it, it is for sale. I would have given it to them, but I really screwed myself on the estimate. It took 4-times longer to make than I estimated and they are aware of that.

I mounted it on a Baltic birch base painted with Duplicolor truck bed liner paint.
In case you are wondering what it is, it is a head positioner for repeatable and precise photography of hair maladies. Chin goes in the chin thing, and forehead goes against the forehead thing.

IMG_0404.JPG

Last edited:
That is nice work ...... and yes, I was wondering what it was........ I still am wondering .......... what is a hair malady?

that came out pretty good, personally I would have used countersunk screws for the hold down to the birch, little cleaner look IMO

update on the bird too, more of a week in the garage, shes coming right along

that came out pretty good, personally I would have used countersunk screws for the hold down to the birch, little cleaner look IMO

I would have, chevydyl, but because I had to drill the holes after I made the bend, I couldn't reach both of them with a countersink. The chuck would clear, but the mill collet wouldn't.

I finished building a temperature controller with timer. I’ll use it to regulate the cheap toaster oven I use to bake powder coated parts. The heat sinks are a little over the top but they’ll work.

View attachment 99218 View attachment 99219 View attachment 99220 View attachment 99221

Super clean job there. I was wondering if it's of your own design and/or are the parts list and schematic on the web? I haven't done any research on my own yet. Thinking of copying you.

Back