2015 POTD Thread Archive

Jrstech indeed they do look good , I'd forgotten /not realised that the height adjusting stud screw only went in half way .
Was there any heat distortion/twist on the tool holder side of things ?

Folded up some thin polycarbonate to make a chip shield around the mill vise. Together with the stainless sheet set behind the vise on the rubber way protector, chips are now mostly contained in the immediate area.
I also made up a small aluminum clamp for a knock-off Noga to hold my Spray Mister arm.

20150601_214753.jpg 20150604_202306.jpg

here are a couple things I did this week, for starters I helped a relative clean out his shed, lotta old muscle car parts, where I got that shifter ball that matched the ball crank handles, I JB welded it to my quill feed lever to complete the build on it, the light was also salvaged, another one is on there not pictured on the other side
millballhandle.jpg
next up, I did some welding for a machine shop, theres 14 of these shaft collar deals, 3/4 pipe on CRS, the shop supplied the fixture, pretty neat
shaftcollarsweld.jpg
shaftcollarswelddone.jpg
and finally here is a project I am doing, 6061, it measures 3.75x2x1, the pocket is .800 deep and yes those are dovetails, it will have a sliding door. its a box mod ecig thing for my nicotine addiction lol. after squaring it up and getting to dimension I indicated it in to cut the dovetails and locate according to my print, note the safety glasses guys, although off for the sake of this picture as a reminder, they are always on, except, I will add, when my face is behind my hood and a tig torch in my hand. the last picture is a finish rough, there is 2 passes left, that is a special 1/8th inch 4fl carbide extra long, 1in LOC, she be flexin, but it was VERY impressive, I pushed it to the limit taking about 3/4 width of cut just because I was told I couldn't lol, it survived to cut another day, BTW the cutter is from CGS Tool, love em....
mbindicate.jpg
mbroughing.jpg
mbfinish1.jpg

I had to re-machine the tool bit slot a few thousandths because the weld had broken through, so I'm not sure David. If it did, it was so minimal as to not be noticed during machining.

In your picture showing four tool holders held in the mill vise, I think I see a strip of material between the parts and the moving jaw. I presume it's there to ensure that all four parts are clamped solidly. I was wondering what material that strip is.

Jrstech, are you cnc on your mill?

Not a CNC, it's a manual Clausing Kondia FV300. Pic is from delivery day. Machine weighs 3700 lbs. 4 hp. 12" x 56" table. It's a beast for a hobby machine!
Clausing Kondia.jpg

In your picture showing four tool holders held in the mill vise, I think I see a strip of material between the parts and the moving jaw. I presume it's there to ensure that all four parts are clamped solidly. I was wondering what material that strip is.

You must have studied the pictures to notice! All the parts were machined to the same length but just in case, I have a section of aluminum tig rod against the moveable jaw.

Thanks for the reply jrstech, I was just curious about the radius on you clamp you did, interested in your approach

Completed a tiny proof of concept captive nut!
(Follow up note: Completed a single point thread!)

Had some troubles starting and ending the threads without crashing, and ended up with sub-par starts and end threads. (Next time I'll get it perfect!)

Funny story, I was facing down the "barbell" end, I went the tiniest bit too deep, and broke into the internal chamber.
Apparently it was pressurized with red locktite on the inside. For a split second I panicked, I thought I lost a finger there, as shot out a few mm of loctite over the lathe tool. Hah

Covered the mistake by boring the end cap and embedding a magnet.
--> The magnet will likely just further misdirect the uninitiated as they try to figure it out.

2015-06-04 19.40.11.jpg

Last edited:
Back