2016 POTD Thread Archive

Suspect AKA thumb drive, jump drive, flash drive, etc......simply a small, solid state NV memory device.

Little project to hold my indicators on the lathe, I use to either use a magnetic base or have my Noga arm directly clamped in a tool holder. It was awkward and always took some time to adjust. Machined a 3/4" thick block of aluminum with a 1/2" step in the holder to attache my dial indicator so it is always on center and square to my work. It is adjustable for moving the dial indicator back for large diameter work. Also bored an 8mm hole for the Noga arm in the back so a test indicator can be used, all the locking screws on the holder/block use the same size Allen key. A little vinyl naugahyde on the top of the block cushions the gauge when mounting and levels it. There is a little standoff for the dial gauge and a wave washer under the Allen head to prevent it from loosing. I was rechecking my 5C set-Tru chuck, and noticed a bit of wobble at 5" out even though it was fine at the chuck. Interestingly, I found that over tightening the four centering Allen screws would skew the chuck. So I only used moderate torque on them with much better results and then cinched the chuck to the back plate.
View attachment 141783
View attachment 141784
View attachment 141785

Nice job mark. I need to make one of those up as well.

Another one of those projects that seems to take forever.
Someone here mentioned a while ago that they were making duplicate banjos for their lathe. I got to wondering...(dangerous occupation) could I use multiple banjos? Well, if I had more gears, and some more hardware, pivots, spacers, etc. Study of the manual determined that some threads required only one intermediate gear, thus a single slot, others required two intermediate gears, two slots. I pulled the banjo, (not as easy as I had hoped) and drew it off, then worked it up in pseudo-AutoCad, with dimensions. I bought a couple of pieces of 1/8" 1018 and got to work. I made two of each.
I haunted eBay for a while, mostly was one gear for $10 to $15 plus shipping. Eventually I found a seller offering 7 gears and a couple of hardware pieces for a little over twice what the others were asking for one gear, and bought the lot. I also bought a small packet of 1 1/2" by quarter inch carriage bolts, washers and nuts. A couple of pieces of 5/8 drill rod turned into a variety of spacers and pivots.
It all came together this week.
three banjos.jpg

The top set up is for .0028 feed. I haven't been happy with a heavier feed on this little (Clausing MK2, 6-20) lathe. The second is 32 pitch for threads and the third is 24 pitch. I just used the 24 pitch for threading the current 3/8 Alum tube project. The left hand gears are all set, ready to install, no adjustment needed between them, just where they connect with the drive train. It isn't as easy as a quick change gear box, but it sure beats tear down and set up a new ratio on the old banjo. Note the 'leg' on the top banjo, I had some trouble with this setup wanting to jump out of gear, so I reinforced it.

Has to feel good helping preserve/resurrect a piece of history. I love the sound of those old radials. The spacers came out very nicely. Mike

Has to feel good helping preserve/resurrect a piece of history. I love the sound of those old radials. The spacers came out very nicely. Mike

Thanks man, it is pretty cool having a part in that stuff.

I've just replaced the crappy floppy cast iron gibb in my 9x20 with a brass one I machined down on a friends mill.
Its been sitting here for a couple of months now staring at me and I did it today.
Oh how I wish I had done the changeover two months ago. 1 hour start to finish.
Its like chalk and cheese compared to the old one.
Smooth, no rock, the adjusters remain as set and the handle can be turned easily whereas before it was either loose or very tight with no inbetween.
I just replaced it and drilled a couple of dimples for the the gibb adjusters to sit in.
I was going to drill and tap another three adjusters for a total of 6 in the hope that would smooth it even more but just using just the original three is awesome so that can wait.
I forgot to take photos so there is nothing to see but the new brass gibb takes all the space up in the dovetail and I cannot believe the difference its made.

Savarin... You can do more with less than anybody I know... I thoroughly enjoy the work you do, you are a true craftsman. Bill W.

Aww shucks Bill, thanks anyway.
Made a start on re-building my spark eroder that I set fire to last week or so.
The cap and diode arrived yesterday but I have to go xmas shopping tomorow so I cant see me finishing it yet. Bah Humbug!

Back