2017 POTD Thread Archive

Not really much of a project but I have had a nice chunk of RR View attachment 237166 rail sitting around waiting to be cleaned up for use as an anvil. The top was well worn and took a while to machine it flat on my trusty PM932 mill. That steel must be very hard, anyway a little sandblasting and some paint and its done. Figured I would post it here as it will never look this nice again.
yes they are hard.

POTD was mounting a 60 mm LED HALO light on my Roper Whitney #218 punch press. Used a piece of ¼” thick Delrin for the base. Turned the OD on the lathe using a bolt as the arbor. Then cut it into a ring with a hole saw. That left a pretty rough inside edge which was cleaned up on the drill press with a sanding drum.

Then back to the lathe to relieve the Delrin for the built in lens snaps. The base of the lens to the catch on the 3 snaps measured at about 0.100”, so bored the surface to about 0.090” thick.

Then to the mill to cut some 1/16” wide notches for the snap tabs to go through. Relieved the slots on the back side as the snap tabs rotate and need some clearance to swing, then drop through the slots.

Mounted the Delrin carrier to the bottom of the punch press ram with a pair of 10-24 screw, holes were already tapped in the ram. Then snapped the HALO light in place.

Just a wonderful thing putting concentrated light on the subject! I used a black Dykem paint marker to darken the side of the ring to keep the light out of my eyes, but works great and by dumb luck more than planning clears the punch stripper also.

Bruce

20170714_153641.jpg 20170714_154007.jpg 20170714_164127.jpg 20170714_165319.jpg 20170714_171728.jpg 20170714_172956.jpg
20170714_201403.jpg 20170714_202208.jpg

Another quick POTD. Bought a couple of 5-C collet racks off eBay for my Clausing lathe. I made a rack out of wood a year or two ago, but am in the process of making a rolling splash shield/QCTP tool holder rack for the lathe and needed to move the collets. Tied two of the readily available 30 place 5-C racks together and screwed them to the lid of a HF tool rack.

Bruce

20170715_162327.jpg 20170715_155909.jpg 20170715_162721.jpg
Bruce

Another quick POTD. Bought a couple of 5-C collet racks off eBay for my Clausing lathe. I made a rack out of wood a year or two ago, but am in the process of making a rolling splash shield/QCTP tool holder rack for the lathe and needed to move the collets. Tied two of the readily available 30 place 5-C racks together and screwed them to the lid of a HF tool rack.

Bruce

View attachment 237671 View attachment 237672 View attachment 237673
Bruce

You better add a couple rigid braces to hold that lid open before a "helper" comes along and closes it "for you". :eek 2: :disgust: :(

You better add a couple rigid braces to hold that lid open before a "helper" comes along and closes it "for you". :eek 2: :disgust: :(
Good thought. I did the same type of thing on a larger red HF cart for my Grizzly lathe, lid uses gas struts. Sub'd in a couple of pieces of angle iron. Will do the same thing on the black cart. Thanks for the heads up and warning.

Bruce

For the first time in over 8 months I "officially" have a shop again. I closed my last shop down in late October 2016 when my wife and I started getting ready to move into our new home. We broke ground on our new 3k square foot shop/RV garage back in January and I just had my final inspection two weeks ago. My wife and I have been out of town last week but returned late Sunday evening. On Monday morning I sealed my floors in both the RV bay and the shop. Monday night I backed our newly painted coach into her new home in the RV bay and on Tuesday July 4th we started moving tools and equipment into the new shop.

First and most important item moved into the shop.
2s1k7x0.jpg

Starting to move in machinery row.
1zc0504.jpg

My son's toolbox, solvent tank and a few accessories.
34dmv15.jpg

More of the machining/fabrication equipment moved into the shop.
zx4feu.jpg

My truck pulled into the east bay of the shop.
2jb1pxt.jpg

My son's truck backed into the west bay of the shop.
30w9mdx.jpg

And lastly, our freshly painted coach backed into her new 20'x50' RV bay.
fldgxy.jpg

Hopefully more to come as I can actually work in the shop now and my yard is "almost" done. I hope by this time next week my yard is complete, I should have my two-post lift installed and I can start fabricating my work benches and getting things organized and set up.

Mike
Nice shop and RV

Lots of man hours in this thing .
If I had it to do over I would have welded the fork brackets on last . But no I did it first and that angle twisted in every direction. Heavy wall square tubbing would have been better to use and not the angle .
But I finally got it done .

IMG_6465.JPG

IMG_6469.JPG

IMG_6476.JPG

Back