2017 POTD Thread Archive

The box alder bugs appeared here about the same time as the Asian Beetles. Funny because I have lived on the same property for 25 years previously and never saw any that I recall. The first couple of years, they were terrible with hundreds being collected in the house daily. I started a campaign to seal up every crack and hole that I could find. I also mix up a cocktail of insecticides that I spray the house with. It lasts through the season and even into the next year. I don't know if is effective in preventing them entering the house but it is satisfying to see the piles of dea bugs around the foundation.

We are only seeing a couple of bugs a day in the house now. It's a different story in my outbuildings though. I have lifted boards to find hoards of multiple thousands. Most of them die over the winter but even in death they still stink.

It would be nice to find some other spiecies that found them a delicacy. It could start a whole new pet fad.

The box alder bugs appeared here about the same time as the Asian Beetles. Funny because I have lived on the same property for 25 years previously and never saw any that I recall. The first couple of years, they were terrible with hundreds being collected in the house daily. I started a campaign to seal up every crack and hole that I could find. I also mix up a cocktail of insecticides that I spray the house with. It lasts through the season and even into the next year. I don't know if is effective in preventing them entering the house but it is satisfying to see the piles of dea bugs around the foundation.

We are only seeing a couple of bugs a day in the house now. It's a different story in my outbuildings though. I have lifted boards to find hoards of multiple thousands. Most of them die over the winter but even in death they still stink.

It would be nice to find some other spiecies that found them a delicacy. It could start a whole new pet fad.
I hear cows like the stink bugs. At least in NJ.

They were an infestation about 5 years ago, hundreds in the house. Now only a few.

Bruce, Pierre and RJ -

Where are you located? I never got ladybugs in Oregon (or here in Arizona), just an occasional invasion of box elder beetles.

I'm hoping the folks in charge of the forum get a bit of breathing room soon, and can re-add posters' location info. It was always nice to know.
Hi John,

Live in Charlotte, MI. We get inundated with them every year. Locals call them lady bugs, but as RJ mentioned above they are Asian beetles. Wish I could find where they get in. I crawl around on our roof and look at the siding during the fall looking for the points of entry, but alas no clues yet. Figure one of these winters I'll get a heat signature scan done on the house, should show some leaks.

Bruce

I'll get a heat signature scan done on the house, should show some leaks.

Check out a product from FLIR.com They have a low cost Infrared imaging camera that attaches to a regular Cell phone. While it still a little pricey it has been very cool to look at my machine tools, house, water tanks, etc. I don't know how much it cost to have a heat signature scan done of your house, but it might work out to buy this and do it yourself.

G'day Glenn, we have quite a large system of sugar cane railways here in Downunder. The sugar cane area covers 1599km strip of oastal Queenslnd. Most of the track is 2ft gauge with a small amount of 3ft 6inch.

There are about 4,000 kilometres of track, of which about 3,000 kilometres is main line, transporting up to 36 million tonnes of sugar cane to the mills, each season. There are about 250 diesel hydraulic locomotives in use and about 52,000 cane "bins".

Rail in use is almost invariably 31 kg/m (60 lb/yd) on main lines and 22 kg/m (40 lb/yd) on branch lines and sidings There is a somewhat smaller system on the other side of the country in Nth West Western Australia

Not sure when I'll be in USA next, but as my daughter now lives in Colorado I expect it will be within a year or two, and I'll be glad to take up your offer.

Bob, well, you are describing some serious sugar cane. And some serious railroading capacity. Iam not well versed on the old time Hawaiian sugar cane industry, even though we lived on Oahu for 6 years or so back in the 90's. Hawaii Railway Society on Oahu currently operates about a 6 mile remnant of track from the old Oahu Railroad that used to circle the whole island. We rode the train and toured their back shops last winter while on vacation. I plan on volunteering in their shops for a couple of months later this winter, when we go back over as snowbirds. They have all the original engineering drawings of the ROW and equipment stored in cardboard boxes. Iam thinking of offering to help categorize and preserve the drawings in digital form, to save it from being lost due to,humidity and termites. Should learn more after we head back,over.

What I do know is, the Oahu railway was/is 36" gauge, and ran for 70 or 80 years or so, moving cane, freight, and daily passenger commuting service into and out of Honolulu. A lot of the ROW got converted to state Hiway after WW 2, and that sounded the death toll for commercial railroading in the islands, as the loss of roadbed couldn't be economically replaced with the big move to automotive transportation. There was also a round the island RR on the big Island of Hawaii. It was supposed to haul cane from all the big plantations on the windward side into Hilo, and service the leeward side to Kona for freight and passenger haulage. The pike got finished in 1949. Only operated for a few weeks before then1949 Tsunami hit Hilo and the Hamakua Coast - washing all the track and infrastructure, along with the railroads capital investment - into the ocean. So Never got re built, and didn't even have an opportunity to go into service.

However I've heard some, or many(?) of the bigger cane plantations had their own smaller narrow gauge RR's, with steam engines and track panels laid into the cane fields during harvest. These were the railways that used the smaller 12# rail, I think. As each field was harvested, the crews would move the track to the next harvesting area and carry the cane out in cane cars for processing. Almost all of Oahu, Maui, and Big Island were under cultivation at one point, so must have been a massive distributed operation, with hugh sugar cane mills at two or three locations around each island. Sometihing to see in its day.

Sounds like Australia is the cane producer of the world these days! Almost nothing left in Hawaii now - a few demonstration plots for tourists, and that's it. The Olomana, green loco in the first pic was the third steam powered device ever imported into Hawaii. Now resides at the Pennsylvania Railway Museum in Lancaster. Not sure how that relates to Sugar Cane. Abut there it sits. The last two pics were taken at the current Oahu Rway Society shops at
Eva Beach.

Anyway, when you get to the west coast, plan on stopping for a visit!

Cheers,
Glenn

IMG_0041.JPG

IMG_1221.JPG

IMG_1226.JPG

Last edited:
Hi John,
Live in Charlotte, MI. We get inundated with them every year. Locals call them lady bugs, but as RJ mentioned above they are Asian beetles. Wish I could find where they get in. I crawl around on our roof and look at the siding during the fall looking for the points of entry, but alas no clues yet. Figure one of these winters I'll get a heat signature scan done on the house, should show some leaks.
Bruce
You just reminded me of something. I recall that a bunch of years ago, stores in Oregon were selling mesh bags containing hundreds of what looked like ladybugs. I forget what they were supposed to be good for. Might have something to do with what RJ said:

"The Asian Beetles were introduced into this country as a means of controlling aphids in fruit and nut trees. It turns out that they like the aphiods which feast on soy beans. When soy beans are harvested in the fall, their food supply disappears along with their home and they go looking for a place to overwinter. When they're bad it looks literally like a blizzard. The bug people say they don't bite but I have been bitten and I have witnessed some chewing on a dead fly. They are carnivores after all.

I happen to be in Southern Wisconsin. The bugs made their first ever appearance here about fifteen years ago. Since then they have been spreading throughout the country wherever soybeans are grown. Yet another example of our government trying to make our lives better."

Oregon is, after all, big on agriculture, including fruits and nuts. Anyway, I checked the package and saw that they were from China, so I shied away from them.

Check out a product from FLIR.com They have a low cost Infrared imaging camera that attaches to a regular Cell phone. While it still a little pricey it has been very cool to look at my machine tools, house, water tanks, etc. I don't know how much it cost to have a heat signature scan done of your house, but it might work out to buy this and do it yourself.

I have one of the FLIROne cameras too. The resolution isn't great, but it's pretty respectable considering the price (around $200). I bought it to find insulation gaps in my new (to me) home and have used it for other projects since as well as loaned it out to many friends. I've found it to be worth the money and it probably paid for itself with the energy savings it led to.

As for my POTD, I cut some M50 x 1.5 threads in some machinable wax on my 1903 Seneca Falls lathe. They turned out well, as time allows I'll move forward with trying to make an ER40 collet chuck now that I'm fairly certain I can cut the threads for the nut.

Last edited:
Back