2017 POTD Thread Archive

I made mr Pete's tap follower a while back and it's served its purpose but I wasn't thrilled with it. It's very thick and short. I was watching YouTube videos, I think Aboms video, and I saw a tap follower that someone made him. Long, slender, longer pin. I liked it. It inspired me.

View attachment 247663
View attachment 247664

I have an assortment of old, very large bolts I use often as raw stock. No idea the grade, but it is reasonably hard. I chewed up a twist drill and had to completely grind a new point.
The pin is an old transfer punch. I have a full set of my own, and a bunch of randoms that came in a box with my mill. I use them when I need something hard. I welded a blob on the end and ground it all down with a drill on a bench grinder. Worked a treat. And brass, cause well, it looks nice. Same with the 10 sided nut. No reason aside from looks.
I like this one. It'll suit me well I think. It's quite springy and very rigid. It's a very close sliding fit on the brass. And my best bluing yet.
That spring is no where near heavy duty enough. You need a spring that really pushes. That looks like a pen spring

That spring is no where near heavy duty enough. You need a spring that really pushes. That looks like a pen spring
I'd say twice the size of a pen spring, actually.
I used two. The tension is quite nice. There's enough tension to start a small to medium size tap.

Contrary to recent posts about building a frame for mills/lathes, I wanted to go the other way.
My RF30 mill drill is on a heavy frame that takes up too much space.

IMG_0282-XL.jpg

The other day on a random visit to a used machinery dealer I bought these two cabinets for $30.

IMG_0287-X2.jpg

Lift off from the frame.

IMG_0290-X2.jpg

Safely on the ground

IMG_0292-X2.jpg

Extra support using square tube from the old frame

IMG_0293-X2.jpg

ready to lift again

IMG_0294-X2.jpg

on the move using 10mm round bar rollers

IMG_0296-X2.jpg

And this is what I have ended up with.

The small cabinet has a new home under the drill press. I haven't bolted anything down yet.

Todays project will be shifting the lathe about a foot to the left.

pete

Back