2017 POTD Thread Archive

I have a magnifying lens but prefer to use my reading glasses. Also, I haven't found a magnifying lens as large as the lens in my auto helmet.

Figured out why my snow thrower stopped working.... We have another storm arriving tomorrow.

Making a new shaft wouldn't be a big deal but I don't have the material to make at and I would still need a new sprocket. The dealer has the shaft in stock but not the sprocket and a generic sprocket would require other modifications. Surprisingly the Kubota OEM sprocket is about the same price as generic one. I decided to order the OEM stuff since it should arrive within a couple of days just like the stock and a generic sprocket. I do have a rear blade for the tractor that will work for snow removal as long as I don't let it get too deep.

Kubota_Snow.jpg

If you need/want it back in service quickly, you could try welding up the shaft, then turning it down to size again with a lathe.

So where did the key go?

What was left of it was mashed into a sort of wedge shape lodged in the sprocket keyway. The sprocket was free spinning on the shaft when I found it. The bore of the sprocket is now about 0.035 oversize! I bet it was slipping for a while. The machine is rather noisy anyway and I typically wear a "Mad Bomber" hat that covers my ears when I'm using it so I never heard anything.

Just to make it trough till you get the new parts, put it back in and spot weld around it in a few places to hold it there, Then you can take a grinder and cut them to get it off when you get the new shafts.
Just a thought to get it going if the parts are not here before you need it.

Made this just because I wanted to.

vice1.jpg

It measures 3.750 X 1.750 X 1.250 not counting the screw. The base is cut from a solid piece of steel.
The moveable jaw has a lip that rides in the slot and I also added a longer piece to steady and retain the jaw .

vice2.jpg

Thanks
Ray

Back
Top Bottom