2017 - The Original "What Did You Buy Today?" Mega Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to admit that when I went to pick it up it was a bit bigger than I had in my mind from the pictures. But I will make space for it.

I bought a MT5 dead center. Now I won't have to use the MT5 to MT3 sleeve when turing between centers.

I bought a MT5 dead center. Now I won't have to use the MT5 to MT3 sleeve when turing between centers.

I tried that once, unfortunately it didn't work for me though. The MT5 center stuck out too much so my drive dogs wouldn't reach my faceplate. I didn't want to go through the hassle of modifying all my dogs so I just went back to using the sleeve & a MT3.

My MT5 that stuck out too much.
Img_6714.JPG

With the MT3.
Img_6719-1.JPG

Damn I miss Enco, when I was buying new centers, I was cheap & went with the less expensive import brand instead of the USA made. To my surprise their imports were Bison! Yeah technically import but I was expecting PhaseII or something.

Img_6694.JPG

Man I didn't even think about that. Will have to check next day off.

Man I didn't even think about that. Will have to check next day off.

Yeah, me too, I totally did not expect that. I guess that may be one of the reasons why they use sleeves. But hopefully it works out for you.

I tried that once, unfortunately it didn't work for me though. The MT5 center stuck out too much so my drive dogs wouldn't reach my faceplate. I didn't want to go through the hassle of modifying all my dogs so I just went back to using the sleeve & a MT3....
+1, except I bought a Riten center. OTOH, it's still good for larger work and I can always use a straight dog and a bolt in the faceplate.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Been picking up tooling the last few months. Here are a few...
Er40 blocks
Mt3 to er40 for the lathe ts
Bt30 to er40 for the mill
Not pictured...
Noga holders
Dti fowley
Horizontal Dti mit..

Gearing up for a good season playing in the shop

20170328_153029.jpg

Last edited:
While we are on the topic of centers: What are your thoughts on live centers vs regular? Do you lose accuracy from the bearings in a live center? Who makes a good live center (brand or source)?
And: How do you grip a center to resharpen it?

Check this out!

31vqMafVlnL.jpg

Robert

While we are on the topic of centers: What are your thoughts on live centers vs regular? Do you lose accuracy from the bearings in a live center? Who makes a good live center (brand or source)?
And: How do you grip a center to resharpen it?

Check this out!

31vqMafVlnL.jpg

Robert

Royal is one of the best in my book. Riten & the high end line of Rohm are also pretty good. Too expensive for me though. I personally use Skoda, great bang for the buck & I have been very happy with them.

You have to remove the nose to restore them. But they are ground & will only be as accurate as your setup & machine's capability if try to restore yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back