2017 - The Original "What Did You Buy Today?" Mega Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Hougen arbor uses two SHCS on the two flats with the arbor, so this provides more rigidity.
Don't assume I've crashed an end mill please. I never have. Lucky or careful?
Will, if you try your annular cutters with an r8, please let me know. (I see you bought an arbor yourself, good idea.)
Rustrp, I'm glad the r8's worked out for you, (except for those 8 crashes), and maybe I'll try the 3/4" r8/annular cutter set up on a piece of scrap. ;)

I picked up a bunch of these at an auction and am having a hard time finding an arbor to fit.
The center hole is threaded 1/2" x 20. But the pin holes are different widths for each size.
Where do I find an arbor for theses and are they annular cutters?

upload_2017-5-3_22-10-22.png

upload_2017-5-3_22-10-43.png

upload_2017-5-3_22-11-3.png

upload_2017-5-3_22-10-53.png

Will, if you try your annular cutters with an r8, please let me know.

I won't be trying with an R8 collet (I don't use them) but I will be trying them with ER40 in the mill.

The MT3 needs a bit of reworking before I use it, just minor things though.

Went to Home Depot for some lumber today. I always check the "closeouts" end cap, though they usually just take a very small percentage off. But today there were several pairs of Knipex "power grip" pliers, 10" size, p/n 86 03 250. The tag said their normal price was $50 (though I hadn't seen them in the tool section before). They were selling for $38.06. Pretty good. Amazon sells these for $58.24. https://www.amazon.com/Knipex-86032...ie=UTF8&qid=1493876269&sr=1-7&keywords=knipex

I bought a pair for myself and another for a friend. Total including tax was $41.15

IF you use a hougan cutter in a mill ( annular ) make sure you lock down the cross slide and table any shift will shatter the cutter. don't ask me how I know that.

Received my Drill Doctor yesterday and tried it out on a dull 1/2" HSS bit. Seems to work pretty well and reasonably quickly. The drill definitely works better!

A bull nose live center, an extended point live center, and some center and spotting drills from Shars.

Set of 5c collets from QMT.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

The Hougen arbor uses two SHCS on the two flats with the arbor, so this provides more rigidity.
Don't assume I've crashed an end mill please. I never have. Lucky or careful?
Will, if you try your annular cutters with an r8, please let me know. (I see you bought an arbor yourself, good idea.)
Rustrp, I'm glad the r8's worked out for you, (except for those 8 crashes), and maybe I'll try the 3/4" r8/annular cutter set up on a piece of scrap. ;)

It does make one wonder why centuries of machine tools used the taper fit, along with the time it took to make them accurate and precise, when all that was needed was a drilled hole and a couple of set screws. I guess my assumption was based on my thinking that you used your end mills. :big grin:

Edit; It seemed this conversation was taking on a specific direction so I thought I would throw my biggest fish in and be done with it. :grin big:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back