2017 - The Original "What Did You Buy Today?" Mega Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
coolmate3.jpg

IF you use a hougan cutter in a mill ( annular ) make sure you lock down the cross slide and table any shift will shatter the cutter. don't ask me how I know that.

My mill isn't that clapped out. :eek:

I couldn't resist, but your comment is noted. I dial in the location while taking the backlash out and haven't has a problem but that's just a habit. I still lock the table, and usually lock everything I'm not using.

I scored this faceplate on eBay - arrived today. It's a 12" with with T-slots (which is hard to find). Now I need to adapt it to a D1-4 backplate for my PM1340. It came nicely packaged in rigid foam and although used, needing a bit of cleanup, it's in terrific condition. Very happy.

IMG_7386.jpg

I threw a low bid on this radial drill never expecting to get it, now have to haul it home.
Is this where I'm supposed to say, be careful what you wish for??? Great score! Congratulations.

I picked up a bunch of these at an auction and am having a hard time finding an arbor to fit.
The center hole is threaded 1/2" x 20. But the pin holes are different widths for each size.
Where do I find an arbor for theses and are they annular cutters?

View attachment 232777

View attachment 232780

View attachment 232778

Paragon Machine works makes 3/4" shank arbors for hole saws that would work fine for those cutters.

http://www.paragonmachineworks.com/frame-building-parts/frame-building-tools/hole-saw-arbors.html

I picked up a bunch of these at an auction and am having a hard time finding an arbor to fit.
The center hole is threaded 1/2" x 20. But the pin holes are different widths for each size.
Where do I find an arbor for theses and are they annular cutters?

I think the pin holes are there to help extract the disc that might be cut by the cutter. I'll bet the a simple arbor with 1/2" threads to a shoulder would work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got me a new hand pump for use on the lathe & mill. Sometimes when changing the oil if I over fill slightly too much both the lathe & mill leak in places it shouldn't. I've been using a cheap old gear oil pump from the auto parts store to pump out excess fluid & it gets messy. This Mighty Vac pump is a bit expensive but it's built very well & works great!

Img_2285.jpg

Also finally got me a pair of Knipex 12" Cobra pliers to complete my set. I used the Cobra pliers when I was a mechanic & they never let me down.

Img_2282.jpg

Zoro had the best prices on both the pump & the Knipex pliers, got 20% off that & free shipping.

Got my annular cutters & MT3 holder.

I mentioned earlier that the holder had too small of a hole to fit my 2" length pilot. I was going to take the holder apart & fix that but decided to wait since there's not enough room for the 2" & 3" pilots to work anyway. If I ever get some shorter annular cutters with pilots I'll revisit that.

MT3 holder has sharp edges but I'll fix that when the lathe is available. Typical China quality but I'm not complaining. Set screws are the cheapest that China makes. Threw them in the trash & installed some quality flat point set screws. Didn't want to risk them getting stripped & not being able to remove a cutter. My Hougen Rotabroaches fits it fine.

The Rotabroaches I got are 1-3/8" x 2" & 2" x 3". Got them brand new on ebay during a flash sale. I hope they work ok without using the pilots. I plan on only using them in the lathe though. Anxious to try them but my lathe will be occupied for another week or so.

Img_2276.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back