2018 Archive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I’m gonna suggest something smaller lol my high school graduation present was a 338 win mag my shoulder still hurts!!!!! If it’s a hunting rifle it’s hard the beat Leupold VX3.

I just shoot it for fun . Don't hunt . It sits around the campfire with me up in the Adirondacks at night ! If something was to wonder into camp , I wanted to make sure I had something to do some serious damage to it ! I'm very near the original Remington plant in Illion NY , thats where the guns came from years back . And yes , it'll set ya back a bit . I made a few brakes but haven't had the chance to try them out .

Last two days my injured back has been acting up so i've stayed out of the garage, but today there is a big tool/ flea market so i decided to go and visit it. The weather was appealing but i did found couple of things. First was this lawn mower engine, it has compression and is complete so i bought it, then i've seen couple of Citroen filter i ask for price the vender said 10$ for the entire box, so i bought the entire box, it has couple of filters i can use on my french cars and the rest of the cv boots will be spares. Next few items i bought for the little Lada Niva, bought new fuel line, an used side indicator, couple of towing couplers, 3 sets of spark plugs and couple big wiring terminals, considering the bad weather i found and bought some useful and nice items for cheap.
IMG_20181118_111537.jpgIMG_20181118_111605.jpgIMG_20181118_111723.jpgIMG_20181118_111939.jpgIMG_20181118_111958.jpgIMG_20181118_112035.jpgIMG_20181118_112147.jpgIMG_20181118_112226.jpg

It was yesterday, but I responded to a local Craig's listing and "scored" a GB hydraulic knockout set. 1/2 to 4 inch conduit sizes new old stock. I know it was never used because the cylinder was still wrapped and stapled shut in corrugated cardboard. They list @ $1400 @ Menards. (A mid-west big box
similar to Lowe's etc). I bought it for $300 delivered about a mile from home at a park and ride lot.

Today i was in junk yard neighborhood so i stopped by and looked thru, not much material to buy but i found those two pumps, one is electric power steering pump, other is a fuel barrel hand pump, they'll come in handy.
IMG_20181116_170324.jpgIMG_20181116_170312_1.jpg

Today was good picked up my auction lots from Friday. Not a huge haul I've been a lot more picky running out of room to put the stuff. But can't pass up good deals. All had for 42 bucks. Box of slitting saws all brand new name brands smallest are .020 and go up to .125. All different flavors and diameters about thirty of them. And some nice carbide in the tubes.
image.jpeg
Then some arbors for my tool and cutter grinder. Idk what the big middle one is for it holds shell mills but it was in the box.
image.jpeg
Then a really nice looks to be in pristine shape aerospace 0-12 height gauge. I think I need to get instructions on this with the counters to the right of dial. You can zero each counter separately each has a arrow next to it for up and down. Overall real good day.
image.jpeg

When I hunt moose or elk, I use either a 338WM or a 338-06 . My 388WM is a Sako Finnbear, surprisingly enough, it's not to bad for recoil. Those Finnlanders knew what they were doing when they designed the stock.

Guy also had some unknown collets and some horizontal mill cutters that have gotten wet and have surface rust. Any chance they could be saved? How would you de-rust them?

Collets and cutters can be chemically de-rusted or electrolytically cleaned. Depending on the extent, the cutters may need sharpening after. If the steel is still good, they can be saved.

For surface rust on tooling i've used white vinegar also some concentrated vinegar submerged the tooling in it for a day or two, it cleans rust extremely well, but if the tooling is deeply rusted may not be worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back