2019 POTD Thread Archive

BMW X5 going way too fast causes a pile up accident right in front of me, i turned left to avoid it and ended up crossing the medium and up the embankment in the opposite lane which was empty and under construction, braking on grass wasn't effective i had enough speed to get all 4 wheels in the air but not enough to lend it level, i ended up nose first in a pail of gravel and scraped up blacktop. That soften the impact but still it was a hard lending, if my airbags wore enabled i'm sure they would have blown, the driver of the bmw got 6 mounts jail and was out in one, the insurance did not pay anything but at the end of the day i was fine and my car drove away from the accident. Oh yeah, my front bumper resembles a background from a horror movie i broke a fog lamp and i'm pretty sure i have couple of broken motor mounts, which are next to address just as i finish the exam i have tomorrow.

It sounds as though you were lucky to have as little damage (to yourself and the car) as you did.

When some one drive as much as i do in a such small country (150 miles across) on small bad roads accidents happen regularly because of that i drive older cars that can take the punishment and don't break the bank when they get wrecked or fall apart. I don't want to sound like here is like is the wild west but we do have lots of bad, drunk, drugged and just plane stupid drivers.

Not really what I made in the shop but more like making the shop. 40x60x14 steel building was delivered today. The two 12x12 doors and insulation arrive next week from a different vendor. Now the fun begins.

Looking forward to seeing your progress!
Robert

Looking forward to seeing your progress!
Robert
I started a separate thread just for the build.

Reactions: rwm
More like a POTW. November 15 is the opening day of firearm deer hunting season in Michigan. Shot the 8-point at 7:30 AM on 11/15. I've shot 2 bucks within 45 minutes of each other a few times; don't generally get out of the blind during "prime time" in case another buck walks by. Around 8:00 AM the spike showed up under an apple tree 20 yards from the blind. I'd usually pass and let him get another year under his belt, but he was limping badly with a busted front leg so took him too.

My wife was "excited" that the next 5 days would be taken up by processing the deer . . . Takes me about 90 minutes to skin one and quarter it out for processing in the house. We butcher our own which takes us about 10 hours per deer (not our day job).

We hang them in the shop for a day before processing. Going to need to come up with another plan for next year as I've gotten tired of working in sub-32 F weather in my shop in the winter. The shop is 40' x 32' of a 40' x 96' building with 12" of insulation in the ceiling and 6" in the walls. I have a 20,000 BTU propane heater which is rated for about 700 sq. ft., it barely makes a dent in the temp. So, finally going to bite the bullet and have another 500 gallon propane tank set and will stick a Mr. Heater Maxx 125,000 BTU overhead heater in the shop (spring project). I'll keep the shop at 40 F and kick on the furnace as needed. 125,000 BTU is rated for 3000 sq. ft. (albeit probably an 8-foot ceiling, shop is 10' with a lot of cast iron), so should be able to crank it up to 55 F in a half-hour. We fortunately had decent weather for hanging this year as my shop was hovering around 38 F or refrigerator temperature.

Going to have to resurrect my old make-shift walk-in freezer for next year with a heated shop. I framed up 4' x 8' panels of 2"x2"'s and sheathed them with 1" Styrofoam. The panels lock together and with a 5000 BTU air conditioner blowing into the enclosure can freeze meat at 60 F outside temperature. I've got a HF gantry crane with a trolley, so plan for next year if I shoot two the same day is to hang them next to each other with one tied off on the top beam and the other on the trolley. Box them up in the Styrofoam for a day with the A/C on, then trolley the first deer out of the enclosure for skinning and quartering.

Or, maybe give the local processors some business for $80 - $100 a deer . . .

Thanks for looking, Bruce

20191115_082039.jpg
20191115_121420.jpg
20191115_085419.jpg
20191117_095622.jpg

man, that'll make a few tasty dinners! Given the large size of your shop, would it be worth considering putting in temporary subdivisions over winter and then only heating the one(s) that you'll be using frequently?

Funny, I just checked in here before I head out to my shop to start processing my whitetail. My shop is 40 X 72 with an enclosed section that is 40 X 38. I heat mine with a regular home lp forced air furnace. It sits on a angle iron stand I welded up and doesn't use any duct work. I had to elevate it due to the fact that I keep my '38 pickup in the shop and code requires the furnace to be off the floor due to possible gasoline fumes. It works very well and will raise the temp pretty fast. I also have two permanent block and tackle hoists in the unheated part just for hanging deer. The temps here this time of year usually hang just above the freezing mark so I typically hang the deer for several days. If it gets colder or warmer I will quarter them and drop the pieces in a couple of large ice chests. We have a 9 day season and the first weekend of hunting it was 4 deg, last weekend it was 40 and no snow.

Attachments

• 2019 Buck.jpg
    2019 Buck.jpg
    781.3 KB · Views: 23
Today i started on changing the engine mounts on my 605, and surprise surprise, it did broke the the bolts on the mount to the chassis also broke the the bolts that hold the engine mount to the engine is snapped the heads on two of them and loosen the rest. I had to remove ECU box, coolant expansion tank, power steering tank, 3 engine mounts just to get to the broke bolt i tried lots of tricks to get it out and ended welding on it and welded on a nut so i can unscrew it, the other one i managed to grab with pliers working space is a premium so after couple of cuts on my fingers i decided to stop here i'll continue fighting with it tomorrow.
IMG_20191119_232936.jpgIMG_20191119_232941.jpgIMG_20191119_232957.jpg

More like a POTW. November 15 is the opening day of firearm deer hunting season in Michigan. Shot the 8-point at 7:30 AM on 11/15. I've shot 2 bucks within 45 minutes of each other a few times; don't generally get out of the blind during "prime time" in case another buck walks by. Around 8:00 AM the spike showed up under an apple tree 20 yards from the blind. I'd usually pass and let him get another year under his belt, but he was limping badly with a busted front leg so took him too.

My wife was "excited" that the next 5 days would be taken up by processing the deer . . . Takes me about 90 minutes to skin one and quarter it out for processing in the house. We butcher our own which takes us about 10 hours per deer (not our day job).

We hang them in the shop for a day before processing. Going to need to come up with another plan for next year as I've gotten tired of working in sub-32 F weather in my shop in the winter. The shop is 40' x 32' of a 40' x 96' building with 12" of insulation in the ceiling and 6" in the walls. I have a 20,000 BTU propane heater which is rated for about 700 sq. ft., it barely makes a dent in the temp. So, finally going to bite the bullet and have another 500 gallon propane tank set and will stick a Mr. Heater Maxx 125,000 BTU overhead heater in the shop (spring project). I'll keep the shop at 40 F and kick on the furnace as needed. 125,000 BTU is rated for 3000 sq. ft. (albeit probably an 8-foot ceiling, shop is 10' with a lot of cast iron), so should be able to crank it up to 55 F in a half-hour. We fortunately had decent weather for hanging this year as my shop was hovering around 38 F or refrigerator temperature.

Going to have to resurrect my old make-shift walk-in freezer for next year with a heated shop. I framed up 4' x 8' panels of 2"x2"'s and sheathed them with 1" Styrofoam. The panels lock together and with a 5000 BTU air conditioner blowing into the enclosure can freeze meat at 60 F outside temperature. I've got a HF gantry crane with a trolley, so plan for next year if I shoot two the same day is to hang them next to each other with one tied off on the top beam and the other on the trolley. Box them up in the Styrofoam for a day with the A/C on, then trolley the first deer out of the enclosure for skinning and quartering.

Or, maybe give the local processors some business for $80 - $100 a deer . . .

Thanks for looking, Bruce

View attachment 306185
View attachment 306187
View attachment 306186
View attachment 306188
The original barn is 40' x 56' x 10'; added on 40' x 40' x 12' to house a Massey tractor, Ford F600 dump truck, Case 580 backhoe, mowers, utility trailer and firewood. The back 24' x 40' of the original barn is not insulated and the two halves are separated by a 12' slider that is insulated. I might just hang them in the back half and move them to the heated half for processing. A few hours at 55 F wouldn't hurt them. I'll still keep my "hillbilly" cooler handy as we had a mid-November warm spell of 60 F a few years in a row.

Bruce

Funny, I just checked in here before I head out to my shop to start processing my whitetail. My shop is 40 X 72 with an enclosed section that is 40 X 38. I heat mine with a regular home lp forced air furnace. It sits on a angle iron stand I welded up and doesn't use any duct work. I had to elevate it due to the fact that I keep my '38 pickup in the shop and code requires the furnace to be off the floor due to possible gasoline fumes. It works very well and will raise the temp pretty fast. I also have two permanent block and tackle hoists in the unheated part just for hanging deer. The temps here this time of year usually hang just above the freezing mark so I typically hang the deer for several days. If it gets colder or warmer I will quarter them and drop the pieces in a couple of large ice chests. We have a 9 day season and the first weekend of hunting it was 4 deg, last weekend it was 40 and no snow.
Nice one Bill! No doubt it was a buck when you spotted it! Congrats!

Bruce

Back