2019 POTD Thread Archive

The 605 gave me a real workout, i thought i was done with removing broke bolts but it turns out as i took the mount it had only one bolt holding it so i had to weld on and unscrow two more bolts and cut bigger threads in the head because the old ones has stripped out, i also replace the mount, used all new bolts and lock washers, the real suprased come when i seen what was in the coolant expansion tank, the coolant look like mud, so i flashed the entire system with water 4 times with the engine running and warm and filled it with new coolent. Then i looked at my notes to see when i've changed it last and i'm lucky it wasn't worse, last full flash it had 5,5 years ago and i've driven close to 400 000 km since then. After i bleed the coolant system fully i put a sticker to remind me to change the coolant again next timing belt change time.
IMG_20191121_180424.jpgIMG_20191121_180608.jpgIMG_20191121_194322_1.jpg

Today i had to do some emergency car repairs in the big garage. I was hopping to get number plates for the little niva so i'll have time to fix my 605 at a slower pace but stuff happends. Anyway i had to fix the front suspension, in the summer i got airborne with it and completely destroyed my electric front shock absorbers both anti roll bar links and one bull joint, as always i had spares in my garage so i got on with it, only suprase was the bump stops they got destroyed beyond recognition, and rust had formed in the top head bearings, i bought new bearing, bump stops and dust boots, this took me almost an entire day, well i also clean the inside, did an oil change, and swapped to winter tires. Spring compressors, ball joints, this kind of work is hard on the human body, thankfully i don't do it every day. Before you ask, here is a video how the electric suspension works, keep in mind this is a car from 1992, Ah hope you practice your french. :

View attachment 305500View attachment 305501View attachment 305502
I had a Peugeot 605... think it was 1986 model. Don’t really remember the year but it was really an awesome car. Drove wonderfully and handled wonderfully. Very comfortable too. Kudos for your repairs.

Tim9, you must be mistaken for the model or the year, peugeot never imported the 605 in the US and the 605 was made from 91 to 99 year. You probably had a 604, the rear wheel drive platform. They all are comfortable good handling cars, the last of the truly good cars that peugeot made, believe me i've had about 20 peugeot's i do know them.

Well... I originally purchased a 3 axis Chinese DRO display a 2 optical scales. I was planning on putting this on my RF45 clone, but then when I got my Millrite up and running I contemplated putting it on the Millrite. And since I’m not sure if I’ll even move my RF45 here into my new workshop, I was even more inclined to see if I could get the scales to fit this mill.
I think the RF45 has a 8x30 table but the Millrite is 7x27. So I checked out the x axis first and it was close... but I could get it to fit without cutting the scales. The y axis is too big for the Millrite in my opinion so I just ordered a smaller scale and I may be able to use the one I have for z axis. Not sure about that yet. Time will tell.
Anyway it’s getting there. Just waiting for the other scale to get the y axis working.

92717E53-B5A6-4D28-A306-EC9E68249374.jpeg6550DC28-8106-4D06-9DD6-0479B32066D9.jpeg48FC41B4-72B9-4CCF-B875-E89C2737178F.jpeg

Last edited:
I don't know is it murphy's law or is it just part for the course, just as i finished fixing the front shocks on the 605 i had to do the same to my brother's car now just as i changed the engine mount and flashed the coolant system, my brother called he managed to burn thru his brakes, i replaced them couple of months ago, it supposed to be a easy quick job just as i started to jack it up it started pissing coolant from the back of the engine, i replace the brakes but in the time i did that almost all the coolant leaked out, i called my brother and got my answer, he took it to a shop to get his coolant changed and it started dripping a bit since then. Yeah very familiar story, left it to stop dipping overnight i'll be taking it apart tomorrow, it has a very strange leak it is leaking from the plastic intake manifold and there are no coolant hoses, hopefully is something simple like a intake gasket but knowing my luck i'll be pulling off the head and replacing the head gasket.
IMG_20191122_182629.jpgIMG_20191122_182609.jpgIMG_20191122_182622.jpg

A tragic tail. This is my third try to make an adapter for my NSK NR40 spindle. It has a funny mount and since I want it spinning ~30krpm it has to be spot on. I have a bigger mill with a DRO but I don't have access to it right now so I'm stuck with a micro mill and no DRO.

IMG_20191122_181553.jpg

This device is terrible. I would never buy one again but it was all I had available. I had it dialed in with about .01mm runout.

IMG_20191122_181712.jpg

it was looking good so I decided to press on the bearing which I had at about 0.01mm over sized.

Turns out my lack of experience pressing bearings has taught me a valuable lesson.

IMG_20191122_182903.jpg

Brass tube isn't any good for a bearing press. It happened in a split second. I had some hope though but when I pulled the crumpled mess of a tube out I was presented with this:

IMG_20191122_182932.jpg

that is all bent to hell... What do people to press bearings on anyway? Is there a set of bearing press tubes I can buy or do I have to make them?

I use anything i can, socket wrench, steel drops from my lathe, old bearings, wooden blocks, steel i beams anything and everything to get it done.

Freezing the shaft should make it fit easier. Heating the bearing would help also but too much may ruin the seals or let the grease out.

I finished my wood turning insert tool :

20191123_082927.jpg

20191123_082933.jpg

Now I need to find another project to use it, and I wanna make two more - a skew tool (square insert) and a parting tool.

Back