2019 POTD Thread Archive

Today was a long day in the garage, first i worked on the spacer, i had to drill the holes bigger for the nuts to go in to, as i don't own a mill yet, and have not finish my big drill press so i had to do it with a hand drill, which was a bit tricky because the drill has so much torque and no clutch when the 28 mm drill bit bites hard it feels like it will break my wrists. Then i started on the garage cleaning, i began close to the door and managed to only clear out about 3m2 just behind the little niva, i filled up three big trash bags and two barrels with trash from this part alone, also i carried a lot of staff in the metal shed, this took me about 6 hours, can't imagine how long will it take me to do the entire garage with all the rooms.

Almost finished up making my oil drain plug (20mm coarse thread into the block, with a O-ring seal, to a 3/4" barb, for a short hose with another barbed port, with a cap that is removed to drain the oil from the engine. It's a ridiculously large size for the engine (a Kawasaki FH541V), I think I'll need a 1" wrench and maybe a 1.25" wrench to get the cap off.

Top item is the original plug for the engine, middle is my custom-made part, bottom is the output "port" that gets capped.

Still have to use my grinder to put some flat parts on the round section of it, so it can be tightened with a wrench.

I also pressure-washed the Husqvarna frame and engine, now it's going to the side while I wait for some parts for it. In the meantime, I'll reshingle the garage roof and change my other large walk-behind mower to a blower powered by a deck pulley instead of the current one which is powered by a separate gas engine (as part of a grass catching system I added to it a couple of years ago). It'll cut down on the mowers weight, and the engine doesn't seem happy with the rebuild I did on it last year.

With plugs that large, you might even have room to sneak in a magnet or two.

"drill has so much torque and no clutch when the 28 mm drill bit bites hard it feels like it will break my wrists"

No one weighing less that 150 Kg should attempt a 28mm hole with a hand drill!

I want to know how did you calculate that a human needs to weight that much, i'm 115 kg so i need to gain 35kg to be safe? :grin big::grin big::grin big:

I want to know how did you calculate that a human needs to weight that much, i'm 115 kg so i need to gain 35kg to be safe? :grin big::grin big::grin big:

Doing larger than 1" drilling with a hand drill requires 150kg in mass to reduce vibrations. It is a lesser known fact that someone also can't weigh MORE than 150kg. In other words, no one should abuse themselves like that, yet we all do it.

With plugs that large, you might even have room to sneak in a magnet or two.

Assuming you are referring to my plugs, there's not really a good spot to put a magnet, as the oil in this setup will be pretty static, as it's a dead-end tube, so there would be no oil flow past/near the magnet. It shouldn't be that bad, as the engine has a pressurized lube system, with an oil filter.

Doing larger than 1" drilling with a hand drill requires 150kg in mass to reduce vibrations. It is a lesser known fact that someone also can't weigh MORE than 150kg. In other words, no one should abuse themselves like that, yet we all do it.
Glad you guys have a sense of humor:applause 2: I'm reasonably sure you'll still be OK at 115Kg. Actually, I think I wanted to type 115 to begin with, not 150.

Back