2019 POTD Thread Archive

Spent the day researching a couple different brands of shingles, then bought Mystique 42 shingles, WeatherTex underlay/eaves sealer, some flashing for the edges, a bunch of 1.25" nails, some plastic cement, and a shingle remover tool. Then spent a bunch of time peeling up the shingles on one side of my garage (the side that was leaking). I'd do the whole thing, but it's another grand for supplies, and I'm crunched for time right now (getting ready to start doing spring cleanup once this is done).

A poor picture of the existing shingles (didn't think of doing this until after the sun went down).

I think I may have figured out why the shingles started leaking, for most of the bottom 1/2 of the roof, the shingles were nailed wrong, they should have 4 (or 6 for high-wind situations, rarely a problem here) nails just below the sealant strip, so the shingle placed over it just covers the nail heads. But most of these shingles just had 3 nails, in the middle of the upper 1/2 of the shingle, so the shingles weren't held down properly...

And I am very glad I went back to the store to get the special shingle-remover tool, as it made fairly quick work out of getting the shingles loose with the nails, vs doing the job with a shovel (which would involve ripping a bunch of shingles as well), and then going back over the whole roof to remove the nails so the roof is flat. The tool has a thin head that sticks out front, with a bunch of slots along the leading edge just wide enough for nails to go into the slot, with a heal to enable prying up.

Last edited:
Getting the shop in order. Past 2 years I've done more 2 the building than machining/projects. I hope to change that this year. Rainy day projects, build a toolholder rack on the lathe, and a simple holder for chucks, centers, and temp tool placement

20190321_163154(0).jpg

Will I be ok, if I put on a backpack full of bolts, to reach the desired weight?

I would not recommend a backpack, Because i'm still recovering from a severe lower back injury :applause 2: Save you back as much as you can.

Today i've spent half a day in the garage i did a lot more cleaning, i filled 2 more trash bags, but i run out of space where to arrange my bolts and other hardware, so i stopped, then i wanted to finish the belt drive on the Little Niva, i bought a new belt but i got it little too short, i'll exchange it tomorrow. Not wanting to start work until i can work comfortably did some planning how to make some small shelves on the north wall, the outside walls in my garage are solid concrete so i can attach heavy things without worries for them falling down, so i looked thru and found this small gauge material, i cut it to size, marked it and drilled couple of mountings holes. It was a hard working day picking up all the heavy stuff from this part of the garage.

Today was the first weekend off i had in some time, so i continued working where i left off, i welded the shelf brackets i started, then i mounted them, i used some long bolts so it should hold for the shelf them self i used some salvaged 1x5" wood, then the hard work come to arrange and sort all the hardware i had laying on the floor, then to move it on the shelfs, when i did that more space opened up and give me hope to continue cleaning and i did manage to clean out the entire drivers side on the little Niva, i filled up one more trash bag, i'll have to store them for next week because i already have 10 for the trashmen to pick up. Then i took a small brake and exchanged the belt, on the way back i stopped by couple of junkyards but could not find an peugeot alternator bracket, but after i got back i looked thru my spares and found one, i really like this type of tensioner bracket, it makes it one hand job to change a belt and never loosens, i had to cut and weld a piece to make it work, couple more days like this i should have the Little Niva on the road.

Rebuilt a fuel pump for a buddies truck, he's not terribly mechanically inclined. A half hour in the ultrasonic cleaner makes it look out of place.

He bought the truck last summer, never said what he paid for it. 1947 Mercury with 20,000 miles on it. Totally original, right down to the tires, which apparently have the original air in them. One sweet ride.

Greg

I’ve been wanting a dedicated tool to use aluminum inserts instead of indexing every time. I picked up a tool off eBay however it needed a bit of work before I could dovetail tail it for use in my QCTP. Here is my video of the process

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I finished my last gun mod before my 3gun season starts in 2 weeks. This is my open class blaster. The sight was directly over the barrel and was getting dinged up by spent cases on their way out of the gun. Once in a while one would bounce back in the ejection port and jam things up. I made a 1/2"spacer to move things out of the way. While I was at it I made a gas pedal for my thumb. I always wanted a gas pedal!

Back