2021 Archive

Status
Not open for further replies.
As old P.T. Barnum said, "There's a sucker born every minute". Mike

Not a very good deal, Sam's Club. A 1.75 l. bottle of of JD sells for $38.99 here. A whiskey barrel holds 53 gal or 200 l. Buying a barrel of JD by the bottle would cost me $4457. Add another $50 for the used whiskey barrel.

I believe the price represents the cost, time and space the seller will have tied up for some time between sales. All factors especially when you consider the market base for such a product.

Apparently buying a whole barrel of whiskey for your own private stock is the latest fad.

My late father in law in the UK was nationally known as a purveyor of fine whisky with over 350 different single malt whiskys in his stock along with the more popular American and Canadian brands. He had some bottles that went over £1,600. HE and the family doctor bought out the entire lot of green stock from a brewery that was going out of business and set it aside to properly age. After five years, he and the doctor would get together after Christmas to "rest" the whisky to see if it was ready to bottle. After about ten years, the doctor called him up saying, "Gordon, I think it's ready". The two got together in a shed behind the doctor's house with a quart of the whisky and by the end of the night, had "tested" the entire bottle. Their conclusion was it was ready. Some years later, when I first met my future father in law, he offered me a sample of the whisky. I am not a scotch drinker but it was smooth. That sample came from one of the last bottles from the last barrel and remaining stock was jealously guarded, reserved for very special occasions and I was deeply honored. to be given a taste.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back