2021 POTD Thread Archive

There is a product called Rust-Mort (I have no idea why that particular name), that neutralizes rust. you could run some down each seam and let it set. some will seep in. Por products also has a rust neutralizer if I remember right.

This process took me couple of days, because i've been busy and tired. I started by cleaning all mounting flanges to perfectly clean aluminium good enough to be welded on. Then i cover them with very good quality high temp silicone that stays elastic, new o rings and waited overnight for it to harden, then i apply some more silicone on all the quick connects mounted the new EGR hose and figured out that one of the original hoses has been cut and is short. So i cut it back then made this connector on my lathe quickly so i can join the old and the new piece of radiator hose i've found in my spares. Install everything pressure tested and i could hear a leak so i use a stethoscope and found a suspected hose so i replaced it. Pump the pressure again could not hear nothing so i fill the system up with coolant. Pressured the cooling system so i can bleed it and i hear the awful noise of dripping in the inspection pit under it. So spent the next 2 hours looking for the leak and finally spotted drips coming from under the thermostat housing. That means one of the cooler O rings is leaking. It has fuel cooler and an oil cooler that are staked in the middle of the engine's V. That means i have to drain the system again, and take everything apart again, this makes me think is this my luck or is it just this car.
IMG_20210121_190116.jpgIMG_20210121_192429.jpgIMG_20210121_203552.jpgIMG_20210122_193855.jpgIMG_20210122_204746.jpg

your mileage may vary, but I can't see the extra silicon sealant helping. The o-ring is the seal and it deforms by a specific amount to seal the joint when everything is screwed together. The silicon sealant is going to create a second (third?) irregular surface for the o-ring to seal against. Maybe use a bit of vaseline or grease to help the o-ring settle into place, but in my opinion the silicon sealant is causing your problem.

Maybe use a bit of vaseline or grease to help the o-ring settle into place

Just a caution about using vaseline on rubber o-rings.
I tried that on the pool filter, the lid of the little strainer basket before the pump and sand filter.
I wanted to lube it to make opening it easier, and being a pool I wanted a product that would hurt people or leave a smell or oil-slick.

However, vaseline quickly (within a week) caused the o-ring to swell to a point it would no longer fit in the face-groove.
The o-ring looked good, just much bigger diameter.

Since then I use nothing but silicone grease for o-rings.
It is from the plumbing section of the hardware store and is rated food-safe for water supplies.

-brino

Yes, silicone grease. The petroleum will eat away at the rubber.

I wouldn't worry about any rust between panels. You are likely to do more damage than good try to get at it.
Clean/sand what you can access, de-grease well, and paint.
If you can then keep it in relatively dry/warm conditions it will be great for many years.

-brino
I’d use some Rust Reformer for your seams.... if I was feeling very anal. I can get that way.
Rust-Oleum Automotive 248659 8-Ounce Rust Reformer Bottle, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003BHYY3S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_ewTdGb34GNA4H

But, that’s only if I’m feeling super ambitious. Otherwise, use Rustoleum oil based paint. Thin it a bit and just paint the seams with the thinned paint using a brush first and let it dry. Then paint everything.
Personally, I really think for a box kept out of the weather.... the oil based Rustoleum is more than adequate.

Last edited:
good point, thanks for the correction. I didn't think about the fact that some o-ring materials don't do well with petroleum products. I use silicon grease too, got a tube from the centrifuge repair guy at work :)

Never thought of O-rings swelling with Vaseline. Use it all the time but guess Im mostly working with oil filled machines so have been lucky
Thanks for the heads up
Greg

The silicone i'm using is designed to take up spaces if there are defects and in my mind provides an extra layer of security from the quick connects blowing off, i'm really starting to hate those things. I did locate the leak and is below the thermostat i've installed and after taking it apart again it's leaking from two O'Rings that i've replace when i rebuild the engine. It seams NBR seals can't take the heat, i've contracted a seal making company to make me some better ones, in my opinion the cast iron block the aluminum housing than the stainless fuel cooler and the plastic thermostat on top all have different expansion and contraction with temperatures and because of that those seals fail so badly, i've attached a picture from before when i changed them the old old ones were terrible. Oh i almost forgot to mention, my heating palette arrived today so i had to cary them inside and store them all 2,5t of them.
IMG_20210123_145216.jpgIMG_20210123_145227.jpgIMG_20210123_181549.jpgIMG_20210123_163953.jpg

Back